Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to charge?? >

What to charge??

What to charge??

Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 AM

This is always a problem. When you can go into a department store and purchase a comforter, shams, pillows and maybe even curtains to match for less than we spend on the fabric for one quilt, it is hard to expect a non-quilter to appreciate what we do.
The other problem is turning a hobby we love into a business changes everything. I know quilters who purchased long-arm machines and then started doing it for others to help pay for the machines. They got burned out really fast.
I would have the person purchase the fabric, batting and backing so you are not out the money and then charge them at least what it cost for starters to create the top. The actual quilting should be another figure. Check with long-armers for the going rate. If the person is still interested go for it. You will either love it or it will end your career as a quilter for hire in a big hurry.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 AM

PTQuilter, I love your response! You can probably buy a sweater at WalMart for $15, but you can also buy a hand knit Irish Sweater for $300, and both are selling. Comparing the store bought product to the handmade is just silly!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by pls1946 View Post
PTQuilter, I love your response! You can probably buy a sweater at WalMart for $15, but you can also buy a hand knit Irish Sweater for $300, and both are selling. Comparing the store bought product to the handmade is just silly!
EXACTLY !!!! Thats what people dont understand is the cost !!! Of course everybody thinks because you love doing it you can do it for free ( only charge for supplies to make it ).....NOT ...its alot of work !!! But AM NOT gona do this as a JOB !!! But I have a very large family and they all want me to make them a quilt ....you know nieces,nephews,cousins,aunts, and I cant afford to pay for everything for all of them lol
So for FAMILY what do I charge ????
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

I made my second quilt for a friend who wanted on I did not set a price, she said because she could get one at Walmart for 20 dollars that is what she paid me. Insulting to say the least. But I did have fun making it. I also hand quilted it.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Usually when you tell them how much the materials cost it scares them off. Then when you mention that it will cost 2 to 3 times that for your labor they take off running.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

i generally start that conversation with---" a queen sized quilt starts at $500 and goes up from there, what did you have in mind?"
that usually makes them leave me alone
unless they seriously do want a quilt-
sometimes i say- sorry but you can not afford to pay me to make you a quilt---then i make them one as a gift
it depends on who it is- but non-quilters really have no idea what goes into making quilts and think they should be able to get one for the same as if they went to Walmart & bought one-
sometimes when they get my (token answer) of $500+ they start to ask questions- and we can actually discuss a serious answer-
this answer also works for the people i have no interest in making a quilt for- - i've been known to double that response if it was a quilt i hated making in the first place- i never make the same quilt twice- not one time since 1976 have i made 2 of the same quilt- the only options i give when someone wants to commission a quilt is- size, color scheme, theme---beyond that it is up to me...this works for me- i stay busy and sell enough quilts to 'support my quilting habit'
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Oh my Gosh!!! I'm glad you had fun because you didn't even cover cost by a long shot!!! Before I started buying new fabric to quilt with I didn't realize the cost either!!
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I made my second quilt for a friend who wanted on I did not set a price, she said because she could get one at Walmart for 20 dollars that is what she paid me. Insulting to say the least. But I did have fun making it. I also hand quilted it.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
Usually when you tell them how much the materials cost it scares them off. Then when you mention that it will cost 2 to 3 times that for your labor they take off running.
YES that has happened a few times lol
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM

harge 15 dollars an hour I have a rough idea how much each size takes me - but I also go up on hours for the more somplicated patterns I also require a deposite or pre payment fo rthe supplies and I make an invoice so there are no questions when they pick up the quilt payment due on delivery...I made 500 on a very easy square pattern king size last year and 300 on a little bigger than a twin this past December because it took me longer time wise...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM

2xcost+$15.00 per hour. Remember to include thread, shipping, travel in the cost and shopping, travel time in the time, other minor stuff as well. You have overhead to cover, too.