Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to charge?? >

What to charge??

What to charge??

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I find it easier to make quilts, and then if some one likes them, give them away or sell them. Once it becomes a "job" all the fun goes away.
You are so right on. I have a lady that ask me to make a quilt a year ago. Very nice and would pay whatever I ask. It has been dragging on forever. I have the blocks done just need to border and quilt , but it is a chore and is taking me forever. I will not do it again. If someone wants to buy one I have made, that is ok . No more taking orders. NO FUN.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM

If you really want to make a quilt for a customer, then you need to charge for the materials plus what you think is a fair price for labor. There are times when you can charge less...friends and family for instance. And there are times when you really don't want to make a quilt, but will if the price is right....those people pay more for labor. Sometimes you have to charge what the market will bear. I look at each request, figure the materials cost, and then decide on labor....each quilt is unique.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I made my second quilt for a friend who wanted on I did not set a price, she said because she could get one at Walmart for 20 dollars that is what she paid me. Insulting to say the least. But I did have fun making it. I also hand quilted it.
I think if this happened to me my head would explode. Also I would be down one friend. Some people!!

People who want to tell you what they can buy one for at Walmart, I tell them - You should go shopping there, I'm sure you will find something you like.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I think if this happened to me my head would explode. Also I would be down one friend. Some people!!

People who want to tell you what they can buy one for at Walmart, I tell them - You should go shopping there, I'm sure you will find something you like.
It was a good thing I was excited about my new hobby and we are no longer as close as we once were. Although it had nothing to do with the quilt.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM

I read somewhere a while a go that you should charge three times the cost to make the quilt. If I am doing something for a family member or a really close friend, I usually just charge them what it costs me to make the quilt. They always give me extra $$ for my time (although not nearly enough), but I do it as a favor to them. If it is a random aquantance or a friend of a friend, I quote them the higher price, as it lets them know that they need to be serious about it before I get started. I also ask them for 1/2 up front because I don't want them to back out on me after I have spent the money to buy the fabric.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

I took an arts marketing class a couple of years ago, the formula is the cost of materials, this includes your power bill, gas for the car, your machines, etc. Double the cost of material at replacement cost, and charge for labor x 2 for the wholesale price. I charge a 500.00 non refundable deposit on all large quilts, this covers the cost of the fabric. Once I start the project, if they do not like it, I cannot take the cut fabric back to the store.
Here is one link to pricing.
If you are doing this for fun, charge whatever you want. If you are doing it for a job charge enough to pay yourself, a decent wage, 20.00 an hour almost covers living expenses.

http://www.inspiri-art-and-craft.com...g-formula.html
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
It was a good thing I was excited about my new hobby and we are no longer as close as we once were. Although it had nothing to do with the quilt.
I agree with all of you.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
Usually when you tell them how much the materials cost it scares them off. Then when you mention that it will cost 2 to 3 times that for your labor they take off running.
This is so true...lol
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM

At least recoup the total cost of the materials if a family member wants a quilt made for them. And only if you are willing to compromise on the cost of labor.

Hey if people own a boat or cabin or vacation home, barter a trade! At least as part of the deal! Just trying to think out f the box.
Sandy
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Are you really sure you want to take a much loved hobby and turn it into a $$ maker. It is so much different when you are sewing because you want to make a project you selected... and sewing/quilting something because you have to. The fun can fade very quickly particulary when you realize there are other projects you would rather be doing.