Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reinforcing corners >

Reinforcing corners

Reinforcing corners

Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 AM

I am not very good at squared corners on my quilts though I do keep practicing. When it comes to corners since I sew onto the quilt from the front and hand stitch around the back when I get to the corners I triple stitch to insure that the corners have good strength. It is a bit of a challenge but worth the efforts and I am able to hide the majority of the stitching using a blind stitch.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I sew several stitches at eh end by the corner. Make the miter and back stitch several times before continuing on. When I sew binding down at the corners on front side I back tack and then back tack again as I sew down the binding. I do this on all four corners. No way the corners will ever open up.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
My two favorite tutorials when learning about getting those corners done!

https://quiltwithmarcibaker.com/mite...s-the-point-2/

A technique for angles.

https://quiltwithmarcibaker.com/mite...iss-the-point/

I like to do a two stitch back tack and come back to the stitch off point. Use a ruler and mark the point of the stitch off.

If you are using a 3/8 inch seam allowance, mark the stitch off point at 3/8 inch also. For binding that is 2 1/2 inches wide, the 3/8 inch seam allowance gives a better fold line. The binding fold is more even between the front and back.

What do you mean by a "stitch off point"? Is this the point where you stop when you are sewing your binding onto the quilt initially? (meaning before you have folded it over to finish). I will check out the videos! Thank you!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I am not very good at squared corners on my quilts though I do keep practicing. When it comes to corners since I sew onto the quilt from the front and hand stitch around the back when I get to the corners I triple stitch to insure that the corners have good strength. It is a bit of a challenge but worth the efforts and I am able to hide the majority of the stitching using a blind stitch.
That is a good idea! I will have to try that!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I sew several stitches at eh end by the corner. Make the miter and back stitch several times before continuing on. When I sew binding down at the corners on front side I back tack and then back tack again as I sew down the binding. I do this on all four corners. No way the corners will ever open up.
Thank you for this! I'll give it a try!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
What's the most effective way to use a decorative stitch to finish binding? whenver I have done it, the stitches seems to "pile up" on each other at the corners because the material gets so thick there that it cannot move through very smoothly. do you change a setting or do anything differently to get it to look good in the corners?
I stitch slowly and get a rhythm. Sometimes corners require a push or pull on the fabric to even out stitches. Just takes practice...
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 AM

A couple of small whacks with a hammer at those thicker corners helps your machine travel easily through when finishing a binding with a decorative stitch.