Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reloading quilt top >

Reloading quilt top

Reloading quilt top

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM

I am quilting a jacobs ladder quilt and want to turn the quilt to do the sides, I have never took a quilt out of the frames and turned it to quilt the side boarders someone said I could do this . Is this ok? In times passed I have just went as far as my machine would go on both sides and then advanced the quilt top.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM

I don't know how you would do that. Are you using a long arm? Because your leaders are on top and bottom. As far as I know, there's no way to put it on another set of leaders and get it on straight. Perplexing...
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 AM

I have turned many a quilt top on my long arm. If it's just the borders they are already secured because I baste down the edges as I quilt the body. My backing has been squared prior to loading the first time.
Remove the top-turn and secure one side to your leaders. If it's a large quilt then I usually will only attach the top to the take up leader and drape the rest of the quilt over the backing/belly bar. With one hand I push the quilt part that is hanging down down, around and under the backing/belly bar and pin. Do this several times to hold it. The weight also helps hold the top.
Now stitch the first border and remove the top when that is finished and repeat for the last border.
You can also pin each unfinished borders edge to the take up and backing/belly bar and roll.
I hope this makes sense. Do not make it too hard because it does work.
My disclaimer is: If the length of the quilt is longer than your longarm rails-it is harder. I also have trimmed back the batting a bit so it's not so much in the way.
Let us know how it all "turned" out.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I have wondered if you can turn a quilt!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM

I have done a large quilt like Connie said. It's really not that hard.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM

I have a quilt on the frame now that I am doing and leaving the side borders the do when I turn it and attach the sides to the top leaders. I have done this before because it is easier to do the pattern in a continuous run. --- After the body of the quilt has been quilted, I attach the sides to the top leader and leave the rest to hang over the front of the frame. It is now stable and I just clamp the right and left edges and finish the border. My frame is only 103" wide and it is quite tight at the edges on a queen size.