Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remembering things >

Remembering things

Remembering things

Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Boy do I relate to your problem. My biggest thorn it the binding tool - the one that makes it so your binding goes together perfectly and can't tell you how many times I have used it, each time is like the first. Luckily there is a video on You Tube that I watch a couple times as I do it. But what about photographing each step as you do it? Then write a note for each photo. It worked for me when I was making the folded quilt balls.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Why not find plastic folders to put the ruler in and then you can place the instructions and a copy of the pattern all together and file away.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Check UTube. Also, you might want to check out luminosity. They proved some free brain exercises and they are helping me!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I'm in my 50s and have memory problems. I love to paper piece but each time I go to pp I have to watch a DVD from Carol Doak's on how to do it. I have tons of rulers and have the instructions with each one, but I'm sure I'd have to find a YouTube video for more help. I'm very visual and seeing is what helps me. Maybe you are visual and need to be reminded of what you did. Our brains are only so big and they have over 50 years of memory in them. We can't remember everything. I'm remembering less and less the older I get. It's normal. Don't be hard on yourself. Take everyone's advice and look on YouTube.
I love "our brains are only so big---50 years of memory----can't remember everything". That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I have difficulty also, and this is what I'm telling my husband now whenever I forget things. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by NCannie View Post
I'm in my mid 50's and because of some medical problems when I was young and my current age my memory is not as good as some. I have only been quiting for about a year and a half. I've been to a couple of classes and have been taught how to use some of the angular rulers. My problem is I love the quilts I've made with them but after I'm done with them I don't remember how to use them. There is one quilt I'd love to make over. It was a mystery quilt I made at a retreat and we used the half square triangle and the quarter triangle along with a straight The instructions told us how many of the particular pieces to use but nothing else. Any way. I just can't seem to remember how to use any of the special rulers after the class I take. Do any of you have any clues on how to remember to use them. Because I can't use them I'm stuck on beginner quilts. That doesn't both me too much because I've found some nice patterns but I would like to progress to some slightly more intriquite patterns.
I am the same way about remembering how to use rulers! I have some I bought at quilt shows and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I bought them or what they are for! I do have directions but haven't had the urge to even take them out of the drawer to see what they do. It's like everything in life; when you don't use something for a long time, you forget how to use it. I agree with others, try YouTube.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I have often had this same problem. Even after making 25+ Bow Tucks Bags, I still find myself referring to the directions. Of course my excuse is I'm having a "Senior Moment" now that I'm 66 - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Seriously, I would keep directions when you buy a specialty ruler, go online to tutorials, web sites of the specialty ruler, etc. We all need our memory refreshed from time to time. Good luck, but I'm sure you will find the best way to conquer a special ruler, patterns, etc.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM

If you have a class, and the instructions are not given out, write them down as you do they steps. Also, if you have a camera or cell phone, take a picture of each step - that should remind you of what you did. If you are uncomfortable or can't pay attention in class to do this ( and there's no reason to be uncomfortable, you're paying for the class!) write down what you did as soon as you get home and its still fresh in your mind. I know a lot of times I'll think I'll certainly be able to remember something, but like you say, I forget too easily!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM

I forget the names of things. I can remember everything about it but I just can't come up with the name. My friend's kids told her that she's speaking in adjectives and my daughter tells me that she just pretends she's on a game show when I throw out a few descriptive words and she has to come up with the name.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I always store the directions that come with the ruler in a binder...That way I can always go back and read the directions....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Sadly memory is something we are all struggling with. I just had my 61st BD and it ain't what it used to be. Good luck and God Bless!