Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reminder about sewing over pins >

Reminder about sewing over pins

Reminder about sewing over pins

Old 09-24-2015, 07:03 AM

Hey you know what I did? I not only sewed over my flat flower pin, I sewed the flat plastic flower to my fabric. Surprisingly, it didn't break the needle. But I did replace th needle immediately after that blunder.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Yearly check up for my Bernina 820....just went up to $200.00 Does NOT make a girl want to do "yearly check ups"!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by My time View Post
Hey you know what I did? I not only sewed over my flat flower pin, I sewed the flat plastic flower to my fabric. Surprisingly, it didn't break the needle. But I did replace th needle immediately after that blunder.
I have done that too!!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:02 PM

I would ask for a detailed receipt for that much. If its a mechanical machine much of the oiling and cleaning can be done at home.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I think the mechanical machines are less prone to damage when sewing over a pin. It's those new-fangled computerized machines that can't take it.

But what would I do without mine?

I have both, by the way, and use both. Leaning more and more to the mechanicals for piecing. If only they had automatic thread cutters!!!

Just what I was thinking. I'm glad I have both. I do like the computerized features on my Brother 450Q but also love my old Singers, including my Touch 'n Sew, which despite their reputation, has always been great.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 AM

I am afraid I am at a loss as to what to say to the people who state "I sew over pins all the time, and haven't had a problem" or something similar, it's like saying I have driven for years and never had an accident, umm fingers crossed! You haven't had an accident because you are obviously a good and careful driver and as for sewing over pins and never had a problem you have just been incredibly lucky!

I felt so sorry for one of my pupils who ignored the advice I had given her about sewing over pins and using the best of needles, changed often. At class one week she put in a new needle, cheapo supermarket one, and started sewing, a minute or so late there was a terrible clunk from her machine and before I could stop her she had tried to sew it again, another terrible clunk. Short story version, she had completely massacred a pin she had sewn over which in turn massacred the bobbin timing, a new £400 machine was ruined.

Knowing what sewing over a pin can do I don't see why you leave them in as I cannot see any advantage in doing so, I am not trying to be rude or impolite to anyone I just don't see the point!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I am afraid I am at a loss as to what to say to the people who state "I sew over pins all the time, and haven't had a problem" or something similar, it's like saying I have driven for years and never had an accident, umm fingers crossed! You haven't had an accident because you are obviously a good and careful driver and as for sewing over pins and never had a problem you have just been incredibly lucky!

I felt so sorry for one of my pupils who ignored the advice I had given her about sewing over pins and using the best of needles, changed often. At class one week she put in a new needle, cheapo supermarket one, and started sewing, a minute or so late there was a terrible clunk from her machine and before I could stop her she had tried to sew it again, another terrible clunk. Short story version, she had completely massacred a pin she had sewn over which in turn massacred the bobbin timing, a new £400 machine was ruined.

Knowing what sewing over a pin can do I don't see why you leave them in as I cannot see any advantage in doing so, I am not trying to be rude or impolite to anyone I just don't see the point!

I'm not just lucky or waiting for an accident to happen. I do most of my sewing with vintage 1950s machines that were built to last and I know that sewing over pins won't break them. I'm not putting down anyones' choice of machines, I have newer machines also, but I choose to do most of my sewing on a machine that isn't full of plastic parts and where something as simple as sewing over a pin can cause expensive damage.

Cari
Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 AM

I had a machine's timing go off after I sewed over a pin too. Bent the pin and it cost me $60 to get the machine going again. And I don't FMQ and at the time didn't use safety pins (I didn't quilt back then) so I know it was the pin (which bent all the heck when I hit it).

so even if it's rare, I don't want to take the chance. I have to drive at least an hour to get to a repair shop now.

eta: it was an older 70's machine. Not a newer one.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Am only now realising that 'sewing over the pins' means exactly that - I'd always considered that it was what I did, but I have always taken the pins out just before the foot gets to them. On the very odd occasion when I have left the pin in deliberately to anchor a tricky bit and very, very slowly and carefully sewed over, I get a little wobble in the stitch line from the foot arguing with the shaft of the pin! Am actually surprised there aren't more stories of people hitting pins, it's always been a concern of mine...
Old 09-28-2015, 01:33 PM

I not only do piecing and quilting but I also sew clothes and period costumes - LOL!! Hence my online name.

Many times it is necessary to sew over pins when doing some types of garment construction particularly if you are working with silky, slippery or multi layers of fabric so that the desired shape and fit is achieved. I work for a few theater companies and have to produce a large number of garments in a short time period so hand basting a complete garment first is definitely not practical.

Although there are specific brands of sewing machines that are dedicated to the art of quilting, sewing machines are also used for many other purposes. When I hear the "never sew over pins or you will ruin your machine" statement, it makes me wonder about the quality and engineering of the machine.

I have a domestic Bernina 1630 that has sewn hundreds of garments and have never had a major problem other than a "few" broken needles and the occasional bent pin - this is one of the first computerized machines. In addition to this machine I have also used some of my older, vintage, domestic machines - overall, they have all metal parts and were built to "sew" and be used for many different purposes.