Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Remove fold creases in a finished quilt

Remove fold creases in a finished quilt

I have a finished lap quilt that was folded and put away until I can gift it. Used warm and natural batting with cotton on front and back. It is quilted about every 2 inches. Is there a good way to get rid of the fold lines so it lays flat again? It's already been washed and dried before I put it away. I don't have a spare bed to lay quilts on and no room to hang in a closet.
    Sandra B

Maybe try putting it in the dryer with a wet face cloth or misting it lightly before tumbling it.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Maybe try putting it in the dryer with a wet face cloth or misting it lightly before tumbling it.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest only with a damp towel. I know my wallhangings that I have displayed on a small ladder all need a little "help" when I take them off to move to a new spot or hang on the wall. If it's really stubborn I hold a steaming iron over the area and leave it flat until completely dry. I don't put the iron on the actual fabric though.

Blog Entries
    Ditto to the above suggestions. And when you store it, don't fold it square - fold it diagonally, or roll it into a cylinder shape.

Blog Entries
    i keep cardboard tubes that i get for free from my fabric store and roll my quilts rather than fold them. i don't have very many large quilts to store.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I roll quilts and tops on swimming pool noodles. Big quilt will need two of the long ones. I baste the noodles end to end to make one extra long one. Also I found that the wrinkle release spray works great to take out the crease line and wrinkles in fabric or quilts. I spray and then put in dryer for a few minutes. Using the spray and dryer is the only way I iron any clothing now. LOL
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    In the future you may want to use wool batting. I know several national teachers and they have all switched to wool. This way their quilts go to quilt shows etc. and their quilts have no creases and look fresh.