Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creases/folds in back of quilt >

Creases/folds in back of quilt

Creases/folds in back of quilt

Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Default Creases/folds in back of quilt

I just finished quilting my Judy Neiemeyer Feathered Star and used my Grace quilt frame for the first time. I loved it! I am really happy with the quilting on the front but have noticed there are a couple of folds in the backing, that of course are now quilted.

Is is there any tips anyone has to avoid the back doing this? I used the bungee clamps on the sides so not sure why it did this.

Thanks
carol
Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

If you have a frame I don't know why you would get wrinkles but I am not familiar with your set up.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

A few things you can check for next time.

(1) Make sure your backing starts out square in the frame. You can roll the backing onto the takeup roll and then back again as extra insurance that it is on straight. I always do this.

(2) I use a misting of spray starch as I roll the backing onto the takeup roller (before adding batting). Learned this trick from watching Sharon Schamber on Youtube.

(3) How did you attach the bungees on the sides? It should be just to the backing.

(4) Make sure your cloth leaders are square on the frame. I discovered my cloth leaders were not rolling evenly; they had gotten catty-wonky, probably from me being too rough with them. I noticed this when I rolled the leader completely onto the roller and both ends were longer than the middle!

(5) Also make sure that your rollers are not bowing. If the rollers bow towards the center of the frame as you quilt, you will have excess fabric on the sides that can crease as you work. This is more likely to be a problem if your frame is all wood and not especially heavy, as wood rollers can bow under stress. Also, how tight did you keep the quilt? You want to have it slightly loose (so you can easily grab a finger that is pushed up from below; too tight could cause rollers to bow a little in the middle from stress.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Thank you VERY much for all the tips, every one of them make complete sense. My frame is aluminum but I think it may be bowing slightly, probably from my having the quilt too tight.

The he lady I bought it from had made a couple of cloth leaders, which worked well, and I thought I was pretty careful making sure the quilt was straight, but will definitely pay more attention next time.

The spray starch is a brilliant idea and I will also double check the backing is on straight next time.

Thanks agin, much appreciated
Carol
Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

To add to the tips above... Also, each time you roll/advance your quilt and with each bobbin change take a moment to look at the back of your quilt, then if you see your backing a little off, possible wrinkle in the future you can adjust,smooth, fix it before stitching. I keep a 12" mirror tile on my quilting table and use it often to look at my stitching and make sure my backing is smooth. It only takes a moment to check and saves hours if something goes wrong and you have to remove a row or more of quilting.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I usually tug the backing on each end each time I do a new row to keep it smooth. Isn't always perfect though!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I assume that you press the fabric before mounting. I quilted on my Bernina and always would do a final pressing before centering it on the table to pin baste the quilt.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks ladies, yes I did press it before I put it on the frame, I think it was more of a tension issue. I will definitely use a mirror underneath next time, great idea!

Carol
Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Go to an auto parts store and get an extending mirror. It's a mirror on a handle you can stick under your quilt without having to get all contorted to see. I got mine at O'Reillys. I also give my backing a bit of a tug each time I advance the quilt.