Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing interface adhesive help! >

Removing interface adhesive help!

Removing interface adhesive help!

Old 12-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Removing interface adhesive help!

Hello my fellow quilters! I haven't been on here in a while because I have been going bonkers in every part of my life. And now, I need your expertise help

I'm working on a whole cloth quilt and was putting applique around the border of the quilt. Loved the concept - hated the outcome. (And half of the interfacing wasn't sticking to the fabric and I was fast losing patience!) ... so I removed all my applique (no, it hadn't been stitched, just ironed on) and now I have some adhesive left behind.

How do I remove it?

I can certainly baste the border and wash the whole quilt ... and that is definitely a viable option ... but don't know if it will work!

It's 100% cotton ... any tips would be awesome!

Thanks so much!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If the whole cloth fabric is color fast (test on a scrap first), rubbing alcohol and Qtips should work. Be very careful.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

try contacting the company who makes that product. they should be able to help. I'm thinking ironing something else on it but that would only mean removing that if it didn't just pull off. good luck.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:13 AM

One time I was making a label for a small quilt swap I was having w/a group of friends. I was traveling quite a bit so I hand embroidered it while DH was driving. I then folded a 1/4" edge to the back. My plan was to put fusible that was just a tiny bit smaller then I was gonna hand sew it down around the edges. It was gonna look like I had done needle turn to attach it. Anyway, to get to my point, I fused the fusible to the front of the label! I was heart sick. I scrapped a lotta of it off. Then I used something to try to dissolved it. I don't remember what. Finally in the end as a last resort I got the last bit off by putting a brown paper bag on top & ironing it. That really is the last resort as it makes some of it soak up onto the bag & some of it sink into the fabric. I had a shinny label. I eventually fused & sewed it to back of the quilt. So get a much of it off as ya can before ya try the paper bag.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 AM

most fusibles can lose their effectiveness if ironed too many time by being absorbed into the fabric....so make that work for you. Using parchment paper - heat and reheat till it is absorbed into the fabric. This might make the fabric a little stiffer than normal but in this case, since it's only a label, it shouldn't make much difference.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 AM

My go-to for adhesive/glue removal is Goo-Gone. It is to be used on cloth except silk, leather, suede or rubber. Test first.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Goo Gone will make fabric stink and your whole house stink and probably your whole neighborhood if you open the door. LOL I use UnDo for any sticky removal. It is non toxic and safe for photos. ktbb is right. Keep heating the fusible with a hot iron. It will melt and lose the sticky.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

alcohol didn't work ... but i was able to iron it off!!! Thank you so much!

There is still a "shadow" left behind, but I plan on doing a complicated quilted border LOL so it won't be noticeable!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:58 AM

I see you solved it! Great. I read to get glue off to put a bit of dish detergent on the spot and use a damp magic eraser to rub it off. It works. The residue just rolled off.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:48 AM

I encountered a similar problem on a quilt that is still on my WIP shelf needing to be finished. It now has to wait until after the holidays 'again'.I was ask to 'fix' a quilt someone else had made as a gift. I won't go into details but I had to take it apart and the pieces had been secured with 'heat and bond'. The long and short I am still trying to find a way to remove the Heat and Bond to remake this quilt. I have decided I most likely will not get it off. On one very important applique I have decided to take a photo and put it on a new decal and work it the best I can. The rest of the applique will just have the Heat and bond stay there since I have not been able to successfully find a way to remove it including Goo Be Gone. This was meant to be permanent and so it is doing its best to be so. I have tried all the above things. If you find something that works for you please PM me.

I am so glad you were able to get it off BTW! Great going! Happy quiltiing.

Last edited by juliasb; 12-06-2019 at 07:51 AM.