Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing adhesive from fabric >

Removing adhesive from fabric

Removing adhesive from fabric

Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Removing adhesive from fabric

Is it possible to remove the Heat N Bond type adhesive from fabric? I recently purchased a piece of fabric in a yard sale and a portion of the fabric had the paper still attached from the adhesive product.
Has anyone had success in removing the adhesive once it has been ironed on? The miser in me doesn't want to waste the fabric. LOL
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 AM

I don’t have experience but how about if you use an iron to heat the area and remove the paper and then keep putting fresh paper over the site and heat it until you get most of it off. Then i’d try goo gone and scrub it on and then run very hot water through it. Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I would cut a scrap off and soak it in Goo Gone to see if it would work. If not I would find another use for it, I might use it to make a machine cover or similar.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Might be some help here:
http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/ga...nd-heat-n-bond
Old 04-22-2018, 02:25 AM

I ran into a similar problem a few weeks ago. I tried the paper with a hot iron, soaking in warm water using white vinegar hoping to dissolve the adhesive and then scrapping the adhesive off. Nothing really worked, until I took a
piece of aluminum foil, placed it on the wrong side of the fabric on the top of the adhesive and put a a hot iron on the
aluminum foil. That worked and I couldn't tell there had been and adhesive on the back of the fabric. I needed a piece of that color to do an appliqué. I was very pleased with the result.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:35 AM

Goo Gone destroyed the backing on carpeting. I would be very careful using that product on fabric. Plus, do you really want a chemical in your fabric that goes into the fibers?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Sabrina, where did the adhesive go when you put aluminum foil on the back of the fabric or had most of it been scraped off by then? Did you put anything between the foil and the fabric to absorb the goo? Not quite understanding here.
Rhanks for the responses. Look like quite a bit of work to remove the stuff.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 AM

I placed the wrong side of the aluminum foil over the fabric, on the side of the Heat & Bond. Then I just put the hot
iron on top of the foil. Held the iron down for a few seconds, peeked under the foil and could see where it was lifting
the adhesive. Repeated the process until the glue was all gone. The glue was on the foil, but had to look for it. I also
folded the aluminum foil once, and repeated the process to be sure the glue was all gone. The aluminum foil didn't hurt the iron and the fabric was free from the glue. This worked really well for me.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM

I have put ice on and let it set until it turns hard and pop it off.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM

I get lots of scraps from lots of people and sometimes that is stuff ironed to it. I just sew right through it but then you have to be careful when you iron it. If it is close to a seam, I press it toward the glue and it covers it up and the seam is now pressed for good.