Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing smell from charms >

Removing smell from charms

Removing smell from charms

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM

My MIL never smoked till she was 50 & when she passed at 71, her house was cleaned by a co that does industrial cleaning.Even the walls, where it met the ceiling had lines like a jagged V all around. Smoke had hit the walls & nicotine clung then sagged on the walls.

Her furniture was hauled off by Goodwill.Have no clue what they did with it.Was good quality, but smelly doesn't begin to describe it.

Originally Posted by MarySews
I son't think smokers even notice the smell.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Good morning and happy Valentine's Day! I have noticed throughout this thread that many are using those dryer sheets. Please remember they are an oil-petroleum based product. Once that has been ironed into the fabric, it is there to stay. Now think of who and where your quilts are going? That smell is just as bad as a smoke smell or dander from a cat. We must keep our fabric clean of everything. What happens to a quilt after our long-hours spent making it, is not our concern but keeping it free from everything at first is. Happy stitches everyone; I will get off my soap box now. :)

PS: I do not mean to sound harsh. I love animals (but sneeze a lot). I launder a lot after being around smokers although I give them plenty of space when talking with them and want to always retain their friendship.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mim
How sad -- I am in a paperback book exchange and one of the requirements is NO SMOKERS.

A lady in our snowbirds quilting group went to a new fabric shop that has just opened and while chatting with the owner, she could smell the tobacco smoke on her. She decided not to buy anything there and warned us all of what she found.

Maybe we should all put a note about wanting only smoke free items when we buy or exchange

Mim

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I bought some recently charms online and when I opened them up the smell of smoke recently filled the air :(
Learned my lesson to ask before I buy :)

I REALLY REALLY don't want to wash these. Being only 5 inches I don't want to loose a bunch of fabric by having them unravel.

So any suggestions. Anything that I can stick in with them to remove the smell? I was thinking about sticking them into a big ziplock with the baking soda pack you can buy for the fridge? I LOVE the charms! Just not the smell :) Thanks!

I'm not sure that's fair to boycott her store because she smokes. I seriously doubt if she smokes inside or rubs her fabrics all over her smoke laden clothes. Smell the fabric, not the lady... Does your fabric smell like your perfume? Probably not... Just don't think telling others not to shop there is like saying she has bad breath so don't shop there... it could ruin the fabric. JMHO
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Lay them all and spray with febreeze or hand wash them and lay them out to dry. Yuck!
I may have to resort to hand washing them :( I was hoping for an easy way out lol

I hadn't thought about fabreeze though! I will have to make a trip to the store this evening :)
I don't know what you are going to use them for, but I happened to be very allergic to Fabreeze - If you are going to use them in a quilt you plan on giving to someone, you might want to find out if they have any allergies - Just a thought
Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM

SUNSHINE!
A few hours in fresh air on a clear day will take out any odor!
I am allergic to fragrances, so cannot use scented products to remove odors. Luckily, I can use my clothesline, reversing direction of materials so there isn't a corner left blocked by the clothespin. For the charm squares, you could safety pin them to a cord and hang it across the window frame if that's the only way to get them into the sun.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM

dryer sheets
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
Try this....lay them on a cookie sheet , they can overlap. Put them in the freezer for 3 days, check for smell, they should be good. I have heard this used for books as well.
I have heard of this for books also, not tried it with fabric
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I make my own "fabreeze". Just add a cap full of fabric softner to a 24 oz (or any size really) spray bottle and fill with water. So much cheaper and it works as well.
I will try this as I am allergic to the smell of Febrese. Have asthma
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM

We had this problem when trying to sell our home as my husband smoked...Bought a product called "Odor Pro"....After several applications on carpet, etc...no smell...The product doesn't have a smell either, as some other products do...It's pricey but works and also gets rid of smelly shoes or anything else that has a bad smell....
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM

I haven't read thru all the posts however, I would not wash those 5" squares. Give it some time and the smell will
come out. I do like the idea of placing them in a freezer.
Also, store them in a bag with a dryer sheet.
Many good ideas on here but I wouldn't wash them if you don't have to.
Good luck to you!