Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing smell from charms >

Removing smell from charms

Removing smell from charms

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM

I make my own "fabreeze". Just add a cap full of fabric softner to a 24 oz (or any size really) spray bottle and fill with water. So much cheaper and it works as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM

What about those enzyme sprays that are used for pet/kid smells? It's worth a shot...and may neutralize it enough until you can wash your entire quilt...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Ooh, I'm interested in hearing if the freezer thing works out!! If not, I agree that maybe separating them/spreading them out and "Febrezing" might work--at least until you've made them into a finished product you can wash!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
mim

How sad -- I am in a paperback book exchange and one of the requirements is NO SMOKERS.

A lady in our snowbirds quilting group went to a new fabric shop that has just opened and while chatting with the owner, she could smell the tobacco smoke on her. She decided not to buy anything there and warned us all of what she found.

Maybe we should all put a note about wanting only smoke free items when we buy or exchange

Mim

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I bought some recently charms online and when I opened them up the smell of smoke recently filled the air :(
Learned my lesson to ask before I buy :)

I REALLY REALLY don't want to wash these. Being only 5 inches I don't want to loose a bunch of fabric by having them unravel.

So any suggestions. Anything that I can stick in with them to remove the smell? I was thinking about sticking them into a big ziplock with the baking soda pack you can buy for the fridge? I LOVE the charms! Just not the smell :) Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Put squares outside for a few hours. Fresh air works for me.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

I think baking soda or activated carbon would work and both are cheaper than Febreeze. I don't think the freezer is going to work because smoked meats still smell & taste like smoked meats when they thaw out. Maybe not quite as strong, though.

Just pinning them up outside if you live where the temperatures are above freezing may work just as well and is chemical free.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Doesn't fabreeze just add its own odor? I tried it when it first came on the market I had a terrible time with it because of my chemical sensitivities.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM

I had the same experience, but I opened them up and the odor has lessened quite a bit.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap both work on non washable items or things you just don't want to wash. I bought two bolts of a fusible stuff at an auction and put them in a trash bag with a bar of unwrapped soap and the smell was totally gone.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM

I bought online some fabric from CL and I forgot to ask if it was from a non smoking home and it wasn't. I laid tarps out in the sub zero garage and laid all the fabric out. Left it there for 4 days. No change in odor. Now have several loads of washing ahead of me with the strongest soap I have along with oxyclean. I'll let you know how it turns out. Washer's running now.

Also tried putting mine on the line on a sunny, but freezing, day. No change.