Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing smell from charms >

Removing smell from charms

Removing smell from charms

Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Doesn't fabreeze just add its own odor? I tried it when it first came on the market I had a terrible time with it because of my chemical sensitivities.
me too, can't stand the stuff.. dd surprised me by cleaning out my car. she loves fabreeze... i rode around with the windows open most of january... where's a hot flash when you need one?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Try some fresh wave. You can buy it at hardware stores. They also have a website.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM

White vinegar is my go-to for removing tobacco odor. Since these are small charms I think I'd lay them in the sink, add enough water to cover them and pour in a cup of white vinegar. Let them sit overnight. Drain the sink, rinse them with clear water and pick them up and squeeze out as much water as you can without twisting. Roll them in a towel and press out any water that's left. Then hang them outside to dry. This may sound like a lot but this will prevent any fraying. I've put large items in the washer with white vinegar and had good luck removing the odor. Maybe you can machine wash the item when it's finished.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
mim

I'll remember this one !! my FW case still smell after febreeze, dryer sheets and air freshener -- thanks -- Mim

Is that just coffee grounds or can it be freeze dried crystals??

Originally Posted by quiltinglady2
Put them in a baggie with some coffee grounds. The coffee grounds will absorb the odor. I bought a Featherweight that had a terrible stinky carrying case. A friend said to use coffee. I put a small topless container in the top and amazingly the musty smell is gone. I have left the container in the case and just put it aside when using the Featherweight.
The coffee also got sprinkled in the back of our car because someones cat got in there and did something that made the car unbearable to be in. It even took away that odor.
Believe an old wife anyday!!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Never tried crystals but tried everything I could think of on the case before the coffee grounds, new, not used! Good luck, hope they work as well for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Never tried crystals but tried everything I could think of on the case before the coffee grounds, new, not used! Good luck, hope they work as well for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Let us know about the freezer. I am alergic to smoke. Although then mine would probably smell like fish or shrimp or something "freezy"
Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM

ball up newspaper and put in bag.............change it if u need to...........works in smelly refrig too...
Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM

I'm interested in the freezer method. I would spray them with Febreze and put them in a zip lock bag for awhile. I used to smoke and didn't realize how bad it smells. Glad I quit almost 2 years ago. I had to wash my entire stash with Oxyclean, detergent, and an enzyme additive. Got rid of the smell but took me about 10 days and I had to iron everything. Electric bill was over $10.00 higher for that month.
Sue
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Well I went to the grocery store today so the charms had to come out to make room for food lol. They did smell much better. Not sure if the smell is totally gone but definitely an improvement. I figured I would let them warm up and sit for awhile. Tonight I will get them out and see if they need any fabreezing or any additional steps taken!

So far the freezer idea was an A+ Thanks :)