Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing stains from a quilt top >

Removing stains from a quilt top

Removing stains from a quilt top

Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Removing stains from a quilt top

I have an Amish quilt that has some stains on it. It is hand quilted so I'm wondering if any of you quilters out there would have some ideas on how to do this. It's a big queen size, and I don't know if I wash it or what to do. Thank you for any ideas you may have.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Depends on the stains. You could put it into the/a bathtub and use ERA the enzyme remover or just about any stain remover. So many methods for so many different stains.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Yes, it really depends on the stain. You might do some advance searches to see what others have posted on various threads. I have used a product called LINEN WASH by LeBlanc. Use to get it at the local linen store but the store closed over 7 years ago.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Cindy Needham, who makes quilts from vintage linens, recommends Retro Clean.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM

The stains look like the cold be coffee. The quilt is all cotton with a muslin backing.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

If it is just a few small areas of stain (especially if coffee), I would try Grandma's Secret Spot Remover:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Secre...dp/B0021JD2S0/

You would want to rub this into the stain with your finger or a soft old toothbrush, let sit for recommended time (15-30 minutes, I think), then wash the quilt.

If you use the "search" engine here, you should find several previous threads on how to safely wash a quilt. My recommendation is to use a top-loading washing machine, fill with water and soap (Orvus is good), stop the machine, add the quilt, hand agitate by pushing down on the quilt, advance the machine to spin cycle, spin out the water, fill with rinse water, again stop the machine and hand agitate, advance to spin. The important thing about using a top-loader is, if it has a central agitator (most except for some new ones do), never let the machine agitate the quilt. Do it by hand.

To dry, you can use a large dryer at a laundromat or even a home dryer -- provided it is big enough to allow the quilt to fall back on itself when tumbling. (If the quilt is so tight in the dryer that it can't move, it can develop burn spots from the air openings in the drum.) Or, you can lay out a large flat sheet on a carpet or outdoors (in the shade only, to limit sun exposure which fades some fabrics very quickly) and spread the quilt out on that. If indoors, add a fan to speed drying and turn the quilt over once in awhile. If outdoors, be sure to cover with another flat sheet anchored at corners with rocks; this protects the quilt from errant bird droppings. The trick with drying is to either use a large dryer or lay the quilt out on a flat surface to dry. You do not want to hang the quilt from a clothesline; water adds a lot of weight to the quilt, and a hanging quilt puts enormous stress on the hand quilting stitches that are close to the clothesline. You do not want to stress the hand quilting stitches.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Thank you so much Prism 99 for your great help! I wasn't sure how to wash this massive quilt after treating it with Grandma's Secret Stain Remover. I'm going to print your response for future reference. Thank you again!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

There are a few things I should add.

If you want to lay out the damp quilt on carpeting, put down a plastic drop cloth first to protect the carpet, then the flat sheet, then the quilt.

One thing I did not address in my post was the possibility of dye bleeds -- especially if this is the type of Amish quilt that has deep, dark, or jewel colors. Those dark colors are more likely to bleed.

Instead of Orvus, I would recommend using Synthrapol in the washing machine:
http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Synthrap...dp/B000YZ3UHQ/
Synthrapol suspends loose dye particles in the water so they rinse away instead of settling into neighboring fabrics. Synthrapol is widely available online and in quilt stores that cater to dyers, and would be safer to use than even Orvus. (Orvus is great for quilts when you are sure there will be no dye bleeds.)

If you are using a top-loader and notice the water changing color because of dye bleeds, you can advance the machine to spin to get rid of the discolored water, add more water and diluted Synthrapol, and continue washing. If there is a lot of bleeding, you can do this over and over until the water looks normal. Do this continuously to keep up movement of the quilt in the water, as you do not want to give loose dye particles time to settle into fabrics.

Be careful to not leave the damp quilt folded over on itself before drying. You do not want damp quilt fabric touching other damp quilt fabric for any period of time because this can allow dye to transfer. As soon as the final rinse is over, you want to put the quilt into the dryer or spread it out to dry.

If you have a front-loading washing machine, be aware that most domestic front-loaders do not use enough water to dilute dye bleeds. I have a small front-loader at home, so I take my quilts to the local laundromat and use their largest front-loader for the first washing of my quilts. The big front-loaders use enough water to dilute dye bleeds.