Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing stains from worn, vintage quilt >

Removing stains from worn, vintage quilt

Removing stains from worn, vintage quilt

Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 AM

Default Removing stains from worn, vintage quilt

I recently purchased an old quilt at an auction that looks like what might be mildew stains on it. The quilt is not in good shape--worn binding, some fraying. I'm worried about throwing it into my front load washer for one thing for fear it might damage it more, and I don't know what to use to clean and try to remove the stain if even possible. I don't have a lot in it, but consider it more of a challenge and a rescue. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 AM

I too acquired an old quilt that was stained and worn. Figured I had nothing to loose, so I threw it in the washer on gentle cycle. Not all the stains went away. But you know what? I'm ok with that.. that quilt earned it's wrinkles and grey hair, just like me. Think it gives more "character".
Old 11-20-2016, 06:39 AM

Look up Kelly Cline. She does allot with vintage quilts and linens. She recommends product to use.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:03 AM

I have collected vintage quilts for years. I use Retro Clean to get stains & yellowing out when needed. I fill the washer with cold water, then add the quilt & make sure it's completely soaked before adding the Retro Clean. Let it soak for a good hour, then begin the gentle cycle setting. Sometimes it takes more than one wash, but I have never had a quilt 'fall apart' using this method.
Use caution when removing the heavy, wet quilt out of the washer. I put mine in the dryer on the lowest heat setting.
Good luck!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Retro Clean is also recommended by Cindy Needham. She does amazing quilting with vintage linens.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Retro Clean is the way to go as long as you have some good sunshine to help activate the process. I reused the water for several quilts with excellent success. I have no affiliation with the company.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:25 PM

So, it's better to do it when the temp is warm and sunny, or can you do it in cooler weather as long as it's sunny? I am in the midwest, so we are heading toward winter.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:42 PM

If I remember correctly, it needs heat to best activate the process. You might want to see if the company has a website and see if you can contact them.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:51 AM

Does your washer have a "hand wash cycle", I have used that with great success on old quilt. BUT I do have the attitude, if it falls apart, it was not meant for me to have it. Regular Tide detergent and a scoop of Arm and Hammer baking soda for smell. (Grandson was a Marine, those items stored for month and months while he was overseas, probably weren't washed first, yikes did they smell, but baking soda did the trick)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM

Orvus paste. Just mix 1 Tbsp paste with a glass of cold water, then run washer on Soak cycle, cold water & add quilt (or use bathtub if you have a front loader). Very gentle & works like a charm. JAF sells it online ... or I bought mine at local Saddle Shop (it's also used for washing horses).