Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So confused >

So confused

So confused

Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 PM

Default So confused

As the title states I am so confused with my pattern directions. Anyway on to the important question, directions to sew together a center square to a hst on the top & bottom of the center square. Now the question is when sewing the pieces together do I sew right sides together or with the triangle on top of the square or do I sew the triangle on the backside of the square? Hope my question makes sense. Also added pic of what I have done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562616[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1200.jpg  

Last edited by patricej; 11-22-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Every time you sew a triangle onto the edge of the center square, you need to press those pieces open. It appears that you haven't always done that. With ordinary piecing you always sew right sides together.

Your fabrics are very cute. I agree with you that this block is not the easiest for a beginner. When I do square-in-a-square I usually take the easier route and paper piece it.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Your rotary cutting has to be exact as well as your 1/4 inch seams. I put right sides together on fabric and place one triangle on opposite sides of the square. Pin and sew the seams making sure the tip of the triangles extend beyond the square corner 1/4 inch. After they are sewn, I press open and pin and sew on the opposite triangles.
Pick out your seams, iron the pieces, remeasure and try again. When cutting triangles, you need to be careful the bias edges don't stretch. Kind of tricky beginner pattern in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Ditto what Dunster said. You need to sew on two opposite sides and then press these triangles to the outside before sewing the other two sides on. That's OK though, as a beginner one needs to learn to make friends with the "froggy" also known as the seam ripper.

In this case, I would only rip back as far as you need to to pull the triangles out and press. Then resew those areas to secure the seams.
Attached Thumbnails rip-area.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I have attached some drawings that might help make sense.

The triangles will have "ears" that stick out when you put the long side of the triangle against the square. In fact, they should stick out 3/8" on each side.

The edge of the diagonal should be 3/4 inch longer than the edge of the squares.

Size to cut squares that will be cut into triangles:

If making quarter square triangles from the square: first square cut size plus 3/4 inch
(Example: If center square is cut at 4-1/2 inches, the square to be cut into QST should be cut 5-1/4 inches._

If making half square triangles from a square: First square cut size plus 3/8 inch.
(Example: If center square is cut at 4-1/2 inches, the square to be cut into HST should be cut 4-7/8 inches.

I put the first two triangles "behind/below" the square for the first two. I like to make sure that the "ears" stick out evenly on each side.

It is important to press the seams so there are no pleats on the front. I think I have pressed them either towards the center square or away from the center square - depending on whether I want the center to appear recessed or more prominent. Away from the center when I want the center to look recessed - towards the center when I want the center to "bulge."

Some people press all seams open.

Some people might trim the ears off the first two triangles sewn on at this point.

I then sew the other two triangles on to the square - so the order I use is top, bottom - then left and right.

What was hard for me to get used to was the idea of the "ears" on the triangles sticking out.

Many people cut the squares that are to be cut into triangles about 1/8 inch larger and trim down the finished units. I still do this - I only trim off a couple of threads, but if I cut "exactly" - I almost always end up with a skimpy unit.

I "think" my dimensions are correct - but if wrong - please help us all out with the corrections!
Attached Thumbnails square-square-3.jpg   square-square-2.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 PM

^^ great job drawing. You drew exactly what I would have tried to explain with words. To the original poster those are supper cute fabrics.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:05 PM

th like this ruler that works wonderful for Square i a square check out this viedo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCx6cNOMhw it is by Jodi Barrows
Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Unless otherwise stated, it is assumed that you will always sew with right (pretty) sides of the fabric together. As to your question about which patch goes on the top, it doesn't matter. So you can sew with the triangle on top, or the square on top. I usually put the larger one on the bottom, so I would put the square on the bottom. As mentioned you sew opposite sides, PRESS, then sew the other 2.
This patch is commonly called a square in a square (SIS). There are many you tube videos on how to construct. Here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuBvoYHWRk
Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Jesso4, I see you've gotten some great advice here. I would like to recommend a good book that we used in my beginners quilting class and we truly were beginners! We made a sampler quilt using M'Liss Rae Hawley's book "Make Your First Quilt". She covers the basics from choosing fabric to cutting to block construction. I still use it as a reference after nine years. I'm sure you can get it on Amazon for a reasonable price. There are so many little steps that are generally not given in a pattern. They usually assume that everyone knows what they mean and for me, anyway, that can be a problem. I, too, really like your fabric, so cute. Don't get discouraged!
Old 11-22-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by patti p View Post
th like this ruler that works wonderful for Square i a square check out this viedo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCx6cNOMhw it is by Jodi Barrows
if I remember, using that ruler will give you bias edges...and for a beginner that could be daunting.....

also, here's another tip that may help....fold that square in half, finger press a small crease on edge that you are going to put that triangle on...then do the same with the base of that triangle. Match those creases, so that it is centered...and sew that seam! just a small thing, but it might help.

Last edited by Geri B; 11-22-2016 at 03:39 PM.