Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT???? >

Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

I am currently being smothered by the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated since I began quilting 15 yrs. ago. My constant attempts to gain/& maintain control over my sewing space have all failed. Why you ask?? I simply have TOOOOOO MUCH STUFF !! This includes numerous patterns I bought and will never make, books I have enjoyed but again will never make any of those patterns, fabric, thread, kits, the list goes on. How would you approach a major downsizing project once you have inventoried all that you want to sell/donate would you consider offering only to QB members exclusively for a period of time, then move on if necessary to CL,local ads. etc. Any advice , suggestions, opinions, experience you can offer would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM

My suggestion would be to start with your local community. Do you belong to a quilt guild or is there a quilting group working out of the church, seniors' centre or LQS? Other quilters will be most interested in your excess stuff and if you can sell it locally, then you won't have to pay postage or shipping. One of our quilt guild members recently passed away and we sold her quilting supplies (no machines or UFO's or finished quilts) and made over $1600.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 PM

I agree with Shelbie ... donate what you can.

Let your local quilting groups know you are going to have a quilty sale if you want to have the proceeds go to you.

Do you have quilting buddies? Maybe you all could find someplace to make quilt tops together for charity. Fun, fellowship, and purpose all in one.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here. I'd offer to QB members first then go local. There are many folks here selling stuff so why not jump on that band wagon. Personally, I'm looking for boy/kid fabrics that don't seem to be the rage now. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure' truly applies here. I think you'd get better $$ results here where folks appreciate quality fabric vs a yard sale/CL venture.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM

I would say the same. One other option is if there is someone in the family who would be interested in quilting and get some of your stuff. You would probably make more money selling your items on the board than you would on CL, etc.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM

Being partial to this board, I think you should offer it first here..then local, then last, CL. Craig's List will be the worst of the lot (probably lowest price and a lot of no shows) but you can get rid of it all at once.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM

If you have a local Guild I would contact them. a long time ago when I belonged to a guild, a lady came and set up all the stuff she wanted to sell, and after the meeting it was "Katie Bar The Door!! Everyone had a chance to check out her stuff before the meeting. It was alot of fun and everyone got some good buys!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM

I say QB first, then local. It's more work selling online, but at least you have a focused target audience – people who love and want quilting fabric. I check Craigslist frequently but rarely find what I want or find it for a good deal. It's just too hit or miss, at least in my area.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 PM

I agree with all that NJquilter said. We will buy some, I look on the for sale part her everyday and there has not been very much. Come on and show us what you got.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Put yourself on a shopping moratorium. Create a part of your room where you can personally shop. You will eventually work your way through the stuff and be amazed with what you fall in love with again. Take it one project at a time. The problem may not be the quantity you have but the continuous shopping. (Not an uncommon problem).