Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair Quilt >

Repair Quilt

Repair Quilt

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and have a question that I am sure many of you can assist as I am at a loss of figuring out how to repair.

I gave my sister a winter quilt, using Denim and Corduroy material. Each block is ten inches square made with 4 triangles.

I bound the quilt with machine stitching around the inside border (there are two borders surrounding the quilt and I Machine tacked the quilt every 9 - 10 inches. Well some of the triangles and border are fraying.
What is the best way to repair. Should I use a decorative stitch on each of the triangles and the sashing or should I cut off the outer borders and start with a new border and backing after I sew the decorative stitch on each of the blocks?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Laura Arlington
[email protected]
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM

I think you have the right idea. There is a product called Fray Check that you can use before doing a decorative sitch over your seams in the blocks. I would redo your borders as they probably get the most stress. I machine quilt with a side to side zizgag stitch over seams. I don't know if you can do that over your heavier seams.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

could you show pictures? there is also a product called liquid stitch you could possibly use to secure the fraying. ...pictures would help us see just what the issue is and maybe have more suggestions.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM

I would agree with doing the zigzag stitch over the seams to hold them together to stop the "pulling" on the fabric. Then apply Fray Check to the seam, too. I'm puzzled why it would fray so badly, unless you cut the fabric a little on the bias, and then it would be more likely to happen. Anyway, the zigzagging and Fray Check should help it a lot.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!