Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair sticker shock >

Repair sticker shock

Repair sticker shock

Old 10-29-2021, 06:22 PM

Default Repair sticker shock

I picked up my sewing machine today after having it serviced and was stunned by the charge -- $30 higher than the last time just a couple years ago. Is anyone else experiencing this rise in labor costs? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with covid or if it's just the way things go from year to year. I believe in keeping my machine in good running order but OUCH!
Old 10-29-2021, 06:48 PM

Inflation. The price of EVERYTHING has gone way up. Gas, groceries, insurance, you name it.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I always ask the price of a regular service charge. I ask to be notified if any problem is found and what the cost will be before fixing.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:19 PM

I have my Juki serviced in May. The price hadn't gone up then.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

My friend has a Brother Dream machine. She said it the service fee was $75 dollars more the last time she took it to the Brother dealer.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:28 AM

Sounds like inflation due to Covid. I wonder if everything has to go up so much, or maybe there is some gouging going along with it.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:55 AM

ummm....thinking about the number of machines flying off the shelves at the beginning of the mask making, maybe the techs actually were swamped with repairs and set-ups, supply and demand!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Price will go up as long as the customers pay the price. When goods stay on the shelf not sold then price will drop. Demand has to drop for prices to drop. Those that paid thousand of dollars for high end machine has invested too much not to get the machine serviced so will pay the higher prices to keep their investment.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:18 AM

I currently have a machine sitting in my living room that needs repaired. I actually decided with the cost right now that I was a better option to replace the machine. My Brothers 1500se died some time ago and like you I contacted the local repair place (20 miles away) and the cost had gone up by 30%!! As sad as I am I found it better to just get a new machine. I have one in route, A HQ Moxie. I am so excited about this that it only cost little more that the repair would have been.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:06 PM

My LQS had a special in July for $99. When I called they were very busy but put me on the list. The owner called in September that it was a slow time so I took my machine in. It was a short 2 day turn around with no charge. It was worth waiting.