Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repairing fabric >

Repairing fabric

Repairing fabric

Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by twinstitchin
If you decide to replace the worn out fabric,I have some squares I can send you that is original to that era from some unfinished blocks,let me know and I will be glad to send those out to you. I think I have enough of the same fabric if you want to do them all in identical fabric.
The oniy camera I have is my husband's cell phone, I'll try and get a photo tonight.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 AM

When I have restored old quilts for relatives I have gone to the thrift store and purchased old aprons. They are quite often the right era of fabric and have been washed , so they do not stand out on the quit as new and draw one's eye to that spot. I was told by a quilt historian that to preserve the quilt value, it is best to carefully applique the piece over the worn areas.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Kas

You really shouldn't be laundering it. Put a fiberglass window screen new for just this purpose over the quilt and use the hose attatchment to GENTLY vaccuum the quilt. Or so I have heard! I am too chicken to even do that to the quilt my grandmother made when my dad was born.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Kas I agree,I was told by a quilt restoration expert to only wash the quilts once every five years. She recommended using the small car or hand held vacs on the quilts before putting them away for storage. Carol let me know about the hexs,if you need them and how many etc.