Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replace Block in Quilt Top >

Replace Block in Quilt Top

Replace Block in Quilt Top

Old 03-14-2022, 08:28 AM

Angry Replace Block in Quilt Top

Hi,

I am working on a baby quilt. There are blocks with mermaids and then blocks with sayings like "Secretly a mermaid". I just finished adding the border to the quilt top and discovered the block that has "secretly a mermaid", has a portion of the S and the M hidden in the seam allowance. I thought of using some fabric marker to color in the missing portion of the letters but, it's still not going to look right. So, now I'm thinking of attempting to take the block totally out and replacing it with a different block.

Since the top hasn't been sandwiched or quilted yet, this could work. I'm thinking I would have to hand sew the new one on. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:40 AM

It means careful picking out the stitches but it is relatively easy to replace at this point if you really want to. You can certainly hand sew in the replacement, whether over the top as an applique or as a replacement. I would go by machine.

Basically think of it as a partial seam type of thing. There are videos and tutorials -- I caught an episode on one of the sewing shows this weekend/ Take out a bit of the row and column seams around it, just half an inch or so. Carefully place the one "short" side and sew it, then the opposing side, then the "long" sides.

LOL, the hardest point is when it is already quilted and even then -- many of use have felt the need to completely fix something.

Take deep breaths, and persevere. I call taking out sewing "frog" stitching -- rippit! rippit! (being very careful not to rip...)
Old 03-14-2022, 08:50 AM

I do this all the time. Usually because I discover that the block is not turned correctly in the quilt. If you rip out about a 2 inch extra length along each seam when taking out the original block, then sew the block back in the reverse sequence to which you took it out, there won't have to be any hand sewing. It will all be about partial seams.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Luckily the half missing letters don’t spell something unfortunate. I would leave it and quilt it up. If it is going to drive you crazy, replace it. A little hand sewing isn’t the end of the world.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:22 AM

I have done this, as well as a single piece, ripped the pieces or block our carefully, not to stretch the pieces that are on the bias. If I am doing a whole block, I carefully match the surrounding blocks in place and first baste the block in place, then sew with my DSM. Basting helps so I don't have to be concerned about any stretching. I have a vintage quilt that I have lined up right now that needs that one block replaces. I have been waiting to get the perfect pattern so I can replace the one that needs replacing. I think I found it about a week ago.
Don't be afraid to tear out the block that you don't like. You won't regret it.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:04 PM

Smile Replace block in Quilt Top

I'm my gosh, thank you for the replies. You've given me the confidence that I can do it. When I look at the back of the quilt top, it seems easy enough at this structure of the quilt. Being careful is definitely the key word in this attempt. Hopefully it will go well.....like many sewers/quilters, my seam ripper is always my best friend and used more often than I like when it comes to sewing.....but sewing is still my therapy and enjoyment.
Again, thanks you......
Old 03-16-2022, 05:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfzYFm96oA
Megan from Little Orchard Quilts JUST covered how to replace a block in a completed top. I think you might find her tutorial helpful
Old 03-19-2022, 03:54 AM

Default Replace block in Quilt Top

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfzYFm96oA
Megan from Little Orchard Quilts JUST covered how to replace a block in a completed top. I think you might find her tutorial helpful

Thank you. I did a google search a few days ago and found this tutorial as well. I liked it and tried the steps.....it worked! I'm happy with the results.