Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
replacement or sharpen your rotary blades >

replacement or sharpen your rotary blades

replacement or sharpen your rotary blades

Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 AM

I think I have tried every sharpener on the market -- and nothing worked so now I just replace the bad blades. Like other folks have said, I use JA coupons to replace the blades. I put the used blades in one of the containers (marked) that the blades come in, then seal the container and put it in a larger, well marked container when I trash them.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

DH replaces his saw blade at the first sign of dullness and never felt a ping about it. When I found out some cost as much as $75, and the professionally resharpened fee, you think I'd feel guilty about tossing a $5 dull blade?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM

my DH resharpens mine (he resharpens my knives too, and anything else that can be resharpened). He uses the machine I bought specifically for that purpose. Since he knows what a sharp blade should be like, he modified the way he uses the machine, as he found the directions did not produce the desired results. There is no " do it five times" rule, as each blade needs to be honed until it's sharp. Some take more, some take a lot more. So far he's not found any that were good after only what the instructions said to do.

I have about 15 blades, and as soon as one starts getting dull, I swap it out. When I've gone through most of them, I tell DH and he takes the time do resharpen them all for me. He figured he can get about 5 sharpenings out of them before he'll be through the hardened layer.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Replace. Sharpening old blades just does not work well.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM

I feel kinda weird: I've cut though a lot of fabric, but I'm only on my second blade. How odd.

Cathy's husband's got it right. You just sharpen until it's sharp. I've sharpened knives, chisels, and needles. Some took a few minutes, some took over an hour (that was a v gouge chisel including the regrinding time.) If you run a blade in a sharpener and it's less dull but not sharp simply keep going. I'd like to try a sharpener but haven't needed to sharpen my rotary cutter blades yet.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM

I go the ebay route also. I can find some pretty cheap, so it's worth it to me.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:47 PM

Ditto OnebyOne......However, I save the "skipping" ones and mark their storage case "for cutting paper only". My second Olfa is marked, "Paper Only". I use it for paper, especially gift wrapping, and make christmas wrapping a snap.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:57 PM

I buy the Olfa multi-packs on Amazon.com. Sometimes they come in non-English language packaging, but members on here have said that the packaging looks correct for other countries & they seem to cut fine. Not super cheap, but I figure it's much less expensive than a trip to the ER. Also, Wal-Mart sometimes has really, really good deals on Olfa blades (better than JAF with a 60% off coupon).
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 PM

I tried sharpening my blades but they don't seem to last very long. I buy packs of 10 from Amazon as I need them.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 AM

Replace the blades as needed. Like a lot of others here, I stock up with blades from JA with sales and coupons.