Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
repurposing fabrics, do you do it? >

repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Good Luck on the Job!! About repurposing, I used two dresses that I received that belonged to my GMother (died in 1956). I cut the fabric into squares to make 4Ps and alternated them with white squares printed with old family pictures. I am planning to do another with clothes belonging to my parents and our family pictures. And, I am planning to use flannel shirts to make a throw for covering up when I watch TV. I already have several, but plan to go the the local Goodwill for a few more. With the flannel scraps, I will make a pillow for the cat. She's old and needs something warm to curl up on. BUT, first I have to finish the Christmas gifts in process.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM

This thread has been inspirational for me. I have a lot of OLD tables linens that are embroidered that have been in my family for years. Never wanted to get rid of them, but they do just take up room, which I don't have a lot of! Now I'm thinking of cutting them up and saving the embroidered parts to use in a "family memory quilt." Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Carole Angel
omigod. yuck
yuck? why yuck? Just curious as to why you would feel it is yuck to recycle and reuse fabric
Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
Originally Posted by Carole Angel
omigod. yuck
yuck? why yuck? Just curious as to why you would feel it is yuck to recycle and reuse fabric
I think she was referring to the bedbug problem since the hotel/motel outbreaks. I don't want to carry anything home! Yesterday because the weather was so great, we went walking down by the river, with all the trees overhead. When I got home, I took everything and dumped it into the laundry, including my jacket, and then took a shower and washed my hair!

Back a while ago when I was working, somebody who worked in the store threw their jacket over a couple of wild birds in order to catch and remove them, that inadvertently made their way into the unloading dock. The birds had chiggers and the contaminated coat spread chiggers throughout much of the department store! What a nightmare! People carried them to their homes! Shortly thereafter I started hearing about the motel rooms contaminated with bedbugs.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM

ohhhh did not think about that part, yeah bed bugs are a yuck!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM

I reuse fabric all the time. I'm making an art quilt with fabric from my daughters prom dresses right now. The omigod yuck was in response to the bedbugs.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's a post about using decorator fabric sample books: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158818-1.htm
I bought two of those today, for .25 each. Gorgeous fabric! I know my husband wondered why, but he also knows that my mind works in mysterious ways, lol. Our garage is full of some very odd things...teeth, bones, feathers, tree bits and pieces, beads, pearls, .....fabric is pretty normal, lol.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's a post about using decorator fabric sample books: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158818-1.htm
I bought two of those today, for .25 each. Gorgeous fabric! I know my husband wondered why, but he also knows that my mind works in mysterious ways, lol. Our garage is full of some very odd things...teeth, bones, feathers, tree bits and pieces, beads, pearls, .....fabric is pretty normal, lol.
OMG that is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the link! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 10-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Guilty
Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JabezRose
Bed skirts are nice too, DO NOT get the gauzy ones, make sure you are getting cotton or cotton blend. Miles of material there and it has been, as a rule, not washed very much. Plus I use the part that goes between mattresses to make Angel Pillows for our Toy Store up here where we give away toys at christmas. Then can use up a lot of material scraps to make pillow cases for them.
The baptismal blanket I made for my granddaughter was from a bed skirt.