Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Researching Longarms >

Researching Longarms

Researching Longarms

Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM

I think if you went with the little foot frame or Brother’s dream frame you would still need to baste the quilt first, so if that is something that you don’t like to do they might not be your best choice for a small frame.

Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

When I bought my HQ Avante I waffled over which size frame to get as I wanted the option to do larger quilts but didn't really want the frame to take up the whole room. I finally went with the 12' frame but have it set up at 8'. Plenty big enough for the quilts I make, in fact I've found that I can have two baby quilts on the frame at the same time.

Cari
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM

I agree...the HandiQuilter frames may be sized down for space reason. Right now there are deals from the HandiQuilter dealers...some really good prices. I prefer the stand up machines because I don't like the quilt sandwiching process...always ended up with wrinkles...now that I use the long arm - no more wrinkles - well at least in the quilts... Good luck!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:41 PM

Have you asked the shop where you were quilting what their plan is for their machine? Perhaps the machine is for sale?

Otherwise I agree with the other comments. Go to one or more shows and try as many as the machines as possible.

Me, I hate basting, so a sit down is a no go for me. There are lots of used machines out there and that is what I wound up buying, a used HQ 16 on an adjustable frame.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I have both a HQ Sweet 16 Sitdown and an APQS Lenni on a 12 foot frame. I love both of them! I started on the Sitdown. I have too tell you there are pros and cons to both and it really depends on what's important to you and best suited to your quilting style and comfort zone. Have fun shopping!

Well said. It’s a very personal decision in that you will know when you found what works best for your style and comfort zone when FMQ.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:14 AM

The single most important thing when buying a LA is service after the sale. They all do the same thing once you decide on Sit down or Stand up. There are little variances from one brand to the next. One you oil, the others not so much. Some have big bobbins, some don't. But all small things you can get used to. But SERVICE. That's what is important.
Ask me how I know!!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:39 AM

I like the one that Leah does the videos on, if I ever get one it'll be one like that and it doesn't take up as much space as the long arms do.