Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rethinking Accuquilt: >

Rethinking Accuquilt:

Rethinking Accuquilt:

Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
Six years ago a received the Accuquilt Go as a retirement gift. I only bought a couple of dies at that time.
I found it a little limited and didn’t use it much. I’m here to say it’s a whole new world with Accuquilt today.
They offer a huge selection and they do have a summer sale going on right now. They show multiple uses for the different dies. Perhaps it is that I’m getting older and my eyesight and patience isn’t as good as it use to be but I’m in love with some of the new dies. If you haven’t looked at Accuquilt in a while you just might want to check it out.
I'm inspired. I bought a GO months ago at an estate sale where the woman was moving to assisted living. I got the barely used go and about 15 dies most of which are unopened for $300. I have yet to use it. I knew I wanted it and couldn't pass up that deal. I've never used one and it's a little daunting. I'm glad to hear you're a fan. That gives me hope.
Max (Burke, VA)
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 AM

I have the GO. Don't use it that often. Now they have an electric one so you don't have to crank.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM

YouTube has tons of tutorials for Accuquilt. The Accuquilt site also has short little tutorials. I especially enjoy
Eleanor Burns' tutorials using the Accuquilt . She has clear and details written out. I've emailed "quilt in a day" to
find out how to obtain the little booklets. Because the summer sale is going on now till the end of the month I found
dies were at a good price on Amazon. Since I use Prime I saved on shipping. I ordered 1 die late late Friday night and it was delivered yesterday (yep they deliver on Sunday). Time to go and play.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

The only die that has any thread build up for me is the rag die.. I don't pick it out, I let it pile up and it comes out easy on it's own. Doesn't hurt the cutting at all. I don't know who started the have to pick the threads out of the die. It's not necessary as far as I can tell.
The only waste I have is about 1/4" around each die, except for some applique dies. All it takes is common sense to not waste fabric on the die. Anything more and it's for fabric I don't care to keep any of.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
I was looking for something else and noticed overstock.com has TONS of dies yesterday. Don't know how the prices compare.
I just looked at the prices on overstock.com and found them on several of the dies to be higher than the regular price at AccuQuilt site. One in particular was the butterfly die. And AccuQuilt runs lots of specials. I mad notes of the ones that I want and save up for when they have a sale. Plus, if you buy over $99 worth the shipping is free.

I love my AccuQuilt Go, especially since I broke my arm.

AND they have tons of free patterns for quilts, blocks, table runners, pillows, totes, etc!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
Since I do piecing exclusively, I don't think this is for me. It's an investment, but I'm wondering if I'd get much use out of it. Any suggestions?
Nearly all of my quiltng is piecing geometric shapes. I lve the strip dies and the half square triangles. Can't tell you how much time I save not cutting out squares, oer instructions, drawing a diagonal line, sewing a quarter inch down both sides, then cutting on the line. Now, I place right sides together, 10 layers deep, cut my half square triangles . . . They're perfect and done in a teeny fraction of the time.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 PM

I agree, as I am older and less able to stand for hours I bought the electric go and love it. I buy dies when I find them on ebay and on sale other places. I make mostly strip quilts but use the other dies for triangles and have worn out my 5 inch square die! Lucky for me I found another for $15.00
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM

I love my Go cutter. If you want to establish a scrap user system this is the way to do it. Very little waste if you take care and after all it is scraps. The cutting for a quilt project is faster and of course more accurate and that leaves more time for piecing, yahoo.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The only die that has any thread build up for me is the rag die.. I don't pick it out, I let it pile up and it comes out easy on it's own. Doesn't hurt the cutting at all. I don't know who started the have to pick the threads out of the die. It's not necessary as far as I can tell.
If you look closely there are places where 2 ends of the steel blades butt up against each other. If you don't maintain these areas by removing threads, the build up can eventually push the blades apart. I have purchased some used dies on eBay that have been damaged by this. I have 500+ dies, and have had my Studio cutter for about 17 years for my paper business and have always maintained my dies by removing threads & paper crumbs. As far as dies getting dull, some papers contain clay or other minerals which are harder on the blades, but I have used some dies thousands of times, and they still don't need sharpening.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 AM

I had the Go! and it came with picks for removing threads. I now have the GO Electric. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. And I am in the process of organizing my scraps and am making lots of jelly rolls and 2-1/2 squares. They store much better than just scraps. I have very little waste when I cut. My shoulder thanks me each time I use the electric instead of the crank. I gave my crank Go away.