Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retreat goodies >

Retreat goodies

Retreat goodies

Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 AM

You could include a challenge FQ with a certain deadline, for a show and tell, on a certain date, then everyone meet up for coffee to compare results on the end date....
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM

The purpose of a retreat is to get quilts done while still having fun and taking time out for fabric acquisition. You don't want the organizer or each person to have to put too much work into the retreat ahead of time while they're trying to plan and gather stuff to do. I might not be opposed to having each person make one something in advance to give out.

So, I would focus on things that are useful for the retreat - a ring pincushion (purchased), a wrist pincushion (made), a tote bag with the name of the quilt guild or the individual names embroidered on (if someone has an embroidery machine, Custom coffee cups, Chocolate, a thread catcher (a ceramic tile covered with fabric with a fabric pocket which hangs off the edge of the table and stays open). Lots of other good ideas here.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Chocolate, nail file, seam ripper, ...
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM

This year we all brought bags with "retreat" items (see all items above, price limit $15) and played "dirty Santa". Everyone only had to bring 1 bag and left with 1 bag. In years past we have brought a yard of fabric and divided it between everyone there (ours is a small group). Most times we bring items to be used at the retreat (rulers, blades, marking pins, seam rippers ...)
Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM

At the retreats I had attended, we all brought a gift in a bag, whatever you wanted to put in it. Then the hostess read a poem for the game to get your new gift bag. The hostess read a story, while we all stood in a circle, that had us passing our bag to the right or left. The poems were always a riot to hear and our original bag never came close to getting back to us. That way you would only have to have a story with a LOT of rights and lefts in it, silly story works very well.
Let us know when you decide on what you will do.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:01 PM

What about one of these gauges? They are absolutely fantastic to see if people are actually using a 1/4 inch seam... And you can use them to do a fun little seam test at the start of your retreat. You give everyone 3 pieces of 1.5" x 2.5" scraps of fabric. You sew two pieces together along the long edge, and if you are using the correct 1/4" seam, the third piece if fabric will fit along the top exactly. Once sewn together, the square will measure 2.5" x 3.5".
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 PM

I would put a small tube for hand lotions. A small box of coffee candy. Some sanitized hand wipes. Life savers, wintergreen or peppermint.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 PM

I think "goodie" bags are fun. The things I've gotten that I like the best were: Thread, Mini bottle of Best Press, Machine needles, and a thimble......lots of fun ideas here
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts View Post
I think "goodie" bags are fun. The things I've gotten that I like the best were: Thread, Mini bottle of Best Press, Machine needles, and a thimble......lots of fun ideas here
Me too! Our Guild retreats have "favors" at each meal time--the giver will hang back while the others troop off to meal and when we get back there's a "little something"--a mug rug, a mini lotion bar(homemade); a cornbag heat pad(which caused a stampede to the microwave!); always at least one pin cushion, always a little bag of candies; a thread catcher, etc. It's just so amazing what the ladies come up with! The committee is responsible for the favors, but over the years, others also have brought a goodie so it makes it a bit easier.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 AM

The best retreat I've attended had no retreat bags. We went to work and work we did. We did bring snacks and goodies to see us through lunches which were not provided. I have never gotten so much done at a retreat or had so much fun! It actually was nice not to have extra "stuff" to pack up for my return trip home.