Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Return a fabric? >

Return a fabric?

Return a fabric?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I haven't heard of a store accepting returns on cut fabric in years. It went the way of giving you a discount if you finished a bolt. Does anyplace do that any more?
I wondered why they do that. Seems like it was a win-win, but, now they get less of a sale. Could move fabric faster, bc that 'eventual' customer, that will buy it? might have used that money towards something else. :roll:
nope, have never returned a fabric, of any size, shape, etc. I couldn't bear it...unless, it fell apart when washed, yes, then I absolutely could!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I wasn't aware you could return cut fabric. Hmmmmm!
i never known you could take them back either never try
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 AM

fashionfabrics.com has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I am returning 25 yards of twill to them tomorrow. It's the wrong color. I believe it is either NOT what I ordered or else is misrepresented on the website.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM

I took some fabric back to JoAnns once that once washed, looked like it had chemicals spilled on it and was covered up w/the dye. They did take it back...good thing, I could never have used it in that shape. I also returned another piece last week. I had bought the wrong color for a garment I was making. JoAnns will take it back if it hasn't been cut on or washed and you have the receipt and do it within a certian amount of time...like 30 days I think.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM

I can't imagine returning fabric, but recently at the local Joanns the clerk mentioned folks often try to return fabric that has been worn, she said some folks use it as a sari and will then return it, says they have to sniff returned fabric for boby odors and perfumes to see if it has been used. Who would've thought?!?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM

I did take fabric back to a quilt store (not Wal-Mart type) due to a flaw. They exchanged it with the same fabric. No problem at all, no hastle. I think the key word here is exchange not return.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM

here we go!

i used mottled fabric on a quilt. i asked the manager before i bought that piece if i could get a new entire bolt, otherwise i didn't want the piece. he said yes, it was in the warehouse and he would get it for me. i left a deposit on the bolt and made the quilt using the piece that matched. (i showed pics a while back.)

after waiting 2 weeks, i hunted him down and insisted on knowing why it took 2 weeks to get it from the warehouse when he was getting shipments from there every day. i wouldn't go away until he called the warehouse with me standing right there. then he told me they discontinued it. i have a big mouth, but you should have heard me that day. in fact, i'm surprised if you didn't. i said that the quilt top was finished and was waiting for the backing and now he's telling me it's discontinued. he could either find the fabric or have my quilt top professionally redone with new fabric instead of what was there. he said he would find some.

four days later, he called and said he had the 8 yards. when i went to measure, it was 7.75 and that last 2 yards was attached with those big white stitches they use. i yelled at him. he went shuffling around in the back somewhere, then in the stacks and found another 3 yards. now there was 10.75 minus the stitched part. i had really needed 8 yards, one piece. here i am yelling and he's trying to shut me up so customers won't think he's beating me.

the fabric was $7.99 per yard. it should have been almost $88.00. he charged me $50.00 for everything and practically threw me out. i had to piece it.

this was joanne's and i got a deal, but they are so inefficient, i hate that place. after that fiasco, i returned several fats, for spite, and told them flat out that i didn't like their attitude. the manager said not word one.

there is a new manager now and they won't take returns, but they are just as bad as ever.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Justquilting
You mean people really do return fabric??????
Why would they want to?? :-P
This is one reason why someone would return fabric at Wal-Mart. The ladies at the fabric counter told me customers would come in and buy yards of the cheap table fabric. Price range from $1-2 a yard. They would also buy the same amount of yardage in the more expensive fabric then in a day or two would return the cheap stuff with the more expensive receipt. That way they got the higher priced fabric for the cheap price. This is why the Wal-Marts around here do not accept returns unless there is a flaw.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM

:thumbdown:
Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dingle
Originally Posted by Justquilting
You mean people really do return fabric??????
Why would they want to?? :-P
This is one reason why someone would return fabric at Wal-Mart. The ladies at the fabric counter told me customers would come in and buy yards of the cheap table fabric. Price range from $1-2 a yard. They would also buy the same amount of yardage in the more expensive fabric then in a day or two would return the cheap stuff with the more expensive receipt. That way they got the higher priced fabric for the cheap price. This is why the Wal-Marts around here do not accept returns unless there is a flaw.
I just can't figure people out.. Why oh Why :roll: :roll: :roll:

And then they wonder why Walmart is closing the fabric departments cuz they are losing money :twisted: