Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Reverse stitch lock

Power Poster

Reverse stitch lock

I have had my Bernina for several years and I have seldom used my reverse stitch lock. I was FMQ a bead board effect on my border but it was getting difficult to get the last done with too much bulk in the harp. I decided to switch to regular sewing and stitch up my chalk line, go 3 stitches over and press reverse stitch lock to reverse stitch the second line of stitching. Worked like a charm....why haven’t I used this function more often? Do you use your reverse stitch lock for quilting?

I use my reverse stitch a lot. I usually don't use it for more then a inch of stitching though because I can't keep the stitching line straight. I don't use it with the walking foot. The tech told me that could cause problems if going reverse for more then a couple of stitches with the walking foot attached.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I do that a lot - go up and then backwards to go back to the start when doing something like you described so I don't need to rotate what ever it is I'm working on.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Power Poster
    I am using my open toe appliqué foot so I can see my line not my walking foot. Good to know not to use the walking foot in reverse too much. I imagine that would also apply if you were using your walking foot with a fancy stitch that needed to reverse a lot.

Being able to sew in reverse with the walking foot is machine specific. The Bernina walking foot is able to handle it, but some can't.

I have used reverse stitch on all my Berninas with no problems, but not more than 5-6 Stitches.

I have BERNINA machines and I use that lock stitch all of the time when I quilt my projects. I push the little button on the display screen; the machine takes two or three stitches in place and then moves forward with the stitching. When I get to the finish end, I push the button again and the end is locked. Sometimes I backstitch-but no more than two stitches. I think it looks quite OK and I don't have to tie knots and pull them inside. I personally like the feature.

I use back-stitch all the time. My old machine used to go back immediately, but my Bernina always has to do one more stitch forward before it goes back. And I find that one stitch back is enough for most applications.

Some machines go back five stitches. That is ridiculous and adds a lot of thread to the seams.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher