Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat >

Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat

Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat? I would be interested in knowing if you like them; what size is best and any other opinions involving this item. They seem to be expensive but it looks like they would be very useful. I would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you. Dixie in AL
I came up with an idea but mine is for ironing. You could also cut up a sm. cutting mat to use as well. I went to Home Depot & got an 18 inch circle of wood (already cut & ready for you). I also found a metal lazy susan there. We screwed the susan to the bottom of the wood. Then I covered it with Insulbrite & fabric. You could adapt it to a cutting board by cutting a cutting mat the size of the circle then glue it down. Very handy item.

Pat
that is such a great idea. thank you for sharing. Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat?
I just have a 12x18 Olfa cutting mat that I use as my cutting mat on my cutting table. Because it is relatively small, I just rotate it on my table.

I also have a large Olfa cutting mat that is about the same size as the table top (that I *LOVE*).

I originally bought the 12x18 Olfa cutting mat to take to classes, and had it in my stack of stuff that I usually take to classes until I realized one day, when I was wishing I had a rotating cutting mat, that if I had a circular revolving mat, it couldn't hold as large of block as a square or rectangular one, so I pulled the 12 x 18 cutting mat out and have been using that, just rotating it as I need.

Brenda
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I recently bought the 14" Fiskars one. I like it. I really wanted the Olfa, but not at $75! Even with a coupon it is expensive. I paid about $16 on sale. I figured that if/when the mat goes, I'll cut an Olfa to fit and glue it on. :)
Hey, that is a good idea .. very resourceful!! Thanks for the tip!

I have the one by Fiskars small one as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 AM

I have the smaller one and love it. It comes in so handy. Love it for fussy cuts!
I recently was very lucky and won the larger one at a guild meeting. I was thrilled as I had wanted one but didn't want to spend the big bucks for it. I haven't used it yet so can't say which one I like best yet. But even the smaller one is worth the money.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
This may seem to be a dumb question to all of you who love your rotary mats, but isn't it just as easy to turn a small mat and save the money to spend on more fabric? I am really open minded but that is why I haven't bought one. Do they really make it that much easier?
Your idea works just fine - and leaves more money for your stash.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 AM

I have 2 of the big mats, 36 by 24 or something like that.
One is worn out, I could use the corner for the turn table.
and a wooden cutting board, never used, (10 by 14)
I could paste a piece of the mat on that and lay it on top of a lazy susan. Worth a try anyhow.

As for cheap fabric, I seem to find lots at gr sales. Especially where the senior people live, cause they are getting rid of their stash, for whatever reason.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by joyceinoh
I have 2 of the big mats, 36 by 24 or something like that.
One is worn out, I could use the corner for the turn table.
and a wooden cutting board, never used, (10 by 14)
I could paste a piece of the mat on that and lay it on top of a lazy susan. Worth a try anyhow.
No need to paste a piece of your old cutting mat to your wooden cutting board. Just cut up your old mat and rotate IT, on your larger mat.

I have a 12x18 Olfa mat and just rotate it... no need (that I see) to have a "lazy susan" effect... just rotate a small cutting mat.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

I got my Olfa 17 x 17 with a coupon. It's come in handy when I cut lots of scraps or tumblers.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

hay guess what! I went to salvation army this morning and found one of those spin thingeys for .99 cents. yah for me. just had to share. Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 PM

I have a Martelli quilter's edition mat that I purchased at a quilt show. It has the 1" squares marked on it as well as the blocks going from 2" to 12". Being left-handed, many times I've followed directions for righty's and had to walk around the cutting table. This way I just turn the wheel and cut away. I've really loved mine. I also have a Brooklyn smaller size, but much prefer my Martelli since it is marked. They both work well for a lefty, however.