Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rhinestones, good idea or bad? >

Rhinestones, good idea or bad?

Rhinestones, good idea or bad?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter
I got to go with your DH. Who wants something scratchy to sleep with? Do you want this quilt for just show--or to be used and used and used...a family heirloom?
Not all quilts are to be used for sleeping
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
This quilt is definitely not going to be used. I doubt anyone would want to use it as it's been quilted within an inch of it's life. Very stiff.

I'm thinking of using the hot fix rhinestones and getting the little applicator that heats up and applies the rhinestone. Sounds easy enough, which usually means it'll be a nightmare. :)
If it's for display, then why not?! I got one of those hot-fix things to apply crystals to a Christmas project I "tried" doing 2 years ago. I followed the directions EXACTLY and they still fell off before I could get them in a box to wrap. Needless to say the gifts never got completed. I was applying to free standing lace embroideries, so that may have been the problem, but it totally turned me off from the hot-fix crystal thing. Anyhow, I see lots of those highly embellished quilts in shows and they are stunning.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
So I've been thinking on this all afternoon and had pretty much decided that I wanted to add some sparkle to my current WIP. This quilt is for a show this fall. I've quilted, and quilted, and quilted on it but it seems like it needs a little something more still. I mentioned the rhinestones to my husband this evening and he didn't like the idea at all. (What do husbands know, right? :P ) He said, "Who wants scratchy rhinestones on a quilt?!" I told him this quilt was never going to be used and with all the quilting on it already it would be like snuggling with cardboard. He doesn't quite get the whole "quilts for looking at only" deal. He still didn't think rhinestones were a good idea.

So his reaction got me to second guessing my idea (grrr, he always does that), but I'm still thinking I might try it. How many of you have used rhinestones on a quilt? Were you fairly happy with the end product? Did the rhinestones just stick out like a sore thumb, or did they blend well and just add some sparkle?
I think it would depend on the quilt. On some quilts, they'd be just the thing to give it zing. On other quilts, they might look out of place.

I'd say lay the quilt out, place the rhinestones on top of it, then stand back and take a look. Take a photo of the rhinestones laying on top and see how that looks.

If you like it, then go for it!
Yes, I agree.

I made a small quilt for my Mom (12" x 12"). On it I had done hand embroidery, pieced blocks, pieces of an old lace doily and felt it needed some bling. I laid a few hot fix rhinestones in a few places and also hand sewed on some colored beads. Laying it out first before fixing it to the quilt gave me an idea of what would be too much and what would be too little. :-D
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM

I just put some beads on a project. It added sparkle but was not overwhelming. I think they look great.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232736.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:59 AM

Oops, sorry you have to turn your head.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM

The beads are on the centers of the flowers, the roof of the birdhouse, and the bird wings.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM

You might place a few of the crystals on your quilt, stand back and look at it. Then if you like the look, attach them. I wouldn't hesitate since it is a quilt you don't intend to use for snuggling.---This is from a woman who grew up in Tyler!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM

So I've been thinking on this all afternoon and had pretty much decided that I wanted to add some sparkle to my current WIP. This quilt is for a show this fall. I've quilted, and quilted, and quilted on it but it seems like it needs a little something more still. I mentioned the rhinestones to my husband this evening and he didn't like the idea at all. (What do husbands know, right? :P ) He said, "Who wants scratchy rhinestones on a quilt?!" I told him this quilt was never going to be used and with all the quilting on it already it would be like snuggling with cardboard. He doesn't quite get the whole "quilts for looking at only" deal. He still didn't think rhinestones were a good idea.

So his reaction got me to second guessing my idea (grrr, he always does that), but I'm still thinking I might try it. How many of you have used rhinestones on a quilt? Were you fairly happy with the end product? Did the rhinestones just stick out like a sore thumb, or did they blend well and just add some sparkle?
I think that beading and embellishment is quite often used on crazy quilts that are more for display than use. Not sure about rhinestones, but even some accent areas overstitched with a silky type thread, or embroidery may be all you really need to punch it up Rhinestones may be a little over the top, but it depends on what look you are going for. Try laying some on top of an area and look at it to see if you really like it before commiting. :-D
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 AM

I used rhinestones on a quilted tree skirt (for stars in the sky) they really looked nice and added to the design. I never used them in a quilt but wouldn't hesitate if it was just to use as a wall hanging or just for show.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 AM

I believe that the rhinestones would be better put on a wall hanging.Too scratchy for a quilt.But that is my oppinion.