Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have a lovely smelling lemon balm plant. Do you think I could dry the leaves and use that? What about other herbs and scents like rosemary, regular mint, cardamom, or cinnamon mixed in with the rice? Or how about evergreens? I guess you can see you've got my brain twirling!
Is your lemon balm plant the same thing that we call a mosquito plant in Michigan? It is a lemon geranium plant---which I have several---didn't think of using anything like this.
Can I just add some of my lavendar to the corn warmers that I make???? I also have tons of mint...so if anyone has done this, please let me know.
Gee, I'm from Michigan, so I should know this! If you are talking about the annual geraniums that die when the frost hits, no this isn't it. This is a member of the mint family, and trust me, it comes back, and comes back, and comes back. It's almost impossible to kill. Like mint, you have to be really careful where you plant it, because it's going to be there forever! Does that help?

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a Mosquito plant. Are you from the U.P.? Or upper Michigan? I grew up in Grayling.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
A few years ago, I made rice bags for family members for Xmas. Most complained that they did not like the odor of the rice. About a year ago, I purchased a bag at a shop in Gatlinburg...it is filled with cherry pits. You can either heat it or freeze it. It smells so much better than the rice ever did! I googled and there are several places where one can order cherry pits.
Never heard of using cherry pits before, very interesting I am going to have to try it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Be careful if using fabric with Polyester in it as it will melt easily.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM

I have made these before. I use the long men's socks. Two to be exact. One I fill with rice, knot it at the end and slip it into the other one, knot in first. Now it won't get too hot to burn you. You can also slip the outer sock off to wash it, and if you feel your rice has been in it long enough, you can untie the knot and change the rice. Never have had a problem with mice. Works great and always clean.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

So many great ideas here. I so want to make one. I think I will start with rice and perhaps another time cherry pits intrigue.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
I have a lovely smelling lemon balm plant. Do you think I could dry the leaves and use that? What about other herbs and scents like rosemary, regular mint, cardamom, or cinnamon mixed in with the rice? Or how about evergreens? I guess you can see you've got my brain twirling!
Is your lemon balm plant the same thing that we call a mosquito plant in Michigan? It is a lemon geranium plant---which I have several---didn't think of using anything like this.
Can I just add some of my lavendar to the corn warmers that I make???? I also have tons of mint...so if anyone has done this, please let me know.
Gee, I'm from Michigan, so I should know this! If you are talking about the annual geraniums that die when the frost hits, no this isn't it. This is a member of the mint family, and trust me, it comes back, and comes back, and comes back. It's almost impossible to kill. Like mint, you have to be really careful where you plant it, because it's going to be there forever! Does that help?

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a Mosquito plant. Are you from the U.P.? Or upper Michigan? I grew up in Grayling.
I live directly west of Grand Rapids---near Lake Michigan... The mosquito plant is the same thing as a lemon geranium.... and you are right about the mint---UGH! I have lots but it does keep spiders away!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 AM

I have 2 rice bags that I have used FOR YEARS and love them. The rice is small enough to be comfortable and mold around various body parts. Mine have removable covers for easier cleaning. No problem with cereal moths over the years.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find the vanilla to use for the rice bags? I LOVE that smell and want to try it out in one of these.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM

I've made many rice bags and have no problem with rice whole rice only. - the one I use now must be at least 10 or so years old. when I make mine I always use two layers of fabric, all cotton. The inside layer is a 200 count cotton. It is heavy enough to make sure not even the smallest of grain works it's way through. The outer layer is decorative cotton. I also use a cord so that the bag can be hung when not in use. This insures that it dries out and stays dry -- that is key to keep any bacteria or mold at bay.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
I have used dried beans as well.
I have a bag of beans that I know is old, I will be useing them for this!

A member of this board recomended coffee beans, that has to smell absolutly devine. I am one of those that can not stand the smell of the heated rice. I do like the smell of corn when we used to dry it on the farm. I maqy try that too.