Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM

How much fun. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by auniqueview
I just sent these out to a friend...a real coffee hound, in case you hadn't figured that out, lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks, I am such a visual learner. I look forward to seeing them.
Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Let me get my kids to help me post pictures tomorrow.
I make them 12 inches square...with corners that stand up out of heavy muslin or duck fabric. I zig zag every seam since I don't have a serger, so that nothing ravels.
Then I make the covers out of flannel with a flap for a closure so that the cover can be washed---some are cutsy kid flannel...some are guy flannel, some and just normal flannel print.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
I am making my mom a rag quilt and have enough flannel left to make her a rice/? warming bag. Pic of flannel below. My question to those that have made these and have experience using different fillings--what have you found to be the best filler as far as retaining heat, being insect/rodent free and the most comfortable?
I like feed corn. It seems to hold heat better and holds up for more cycles through the microwave than rice does.

Bugs aren't such a problem if the warming bag is heated regularly in the microwave (kills any bugs). Rodents are only a problem if your mother's house already has them.

Rice or flax seed might be more comfortable than feed corn because they have smaller grains but I prefer the greater heat capacity of feed corn.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 AM

I have always used deer corn in my bags. They hold heat well. They can also be placed into a zip lock bag and stored in the freezer to be used for cold packs/ice packs. You can also make a smaller size, freeze and use as boo-boo bags for childrens injuries.

Insects and or rodents can be controlled by proper storage. If microwaved ever few weeks or stored in an air tight container like a zip lock bag or plastic or metal containor, you will not get insects and/or rodents. They can also be placed into a zip lock bag and stored in the freezer to be used later for a cold a pack/ice pack.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 AM

The coffee bags are pretty much the same as the corn warmers that I make except I make the corners such that the bag sits up. When I stitch my inside muslin bag, I then put both seams together and stitch across making about a 1 inch "tail" at each corner. This makes the bag more square (not quite sure how to explain this).

Do the cherry pits smell when you warm the bags up?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:57 AM

Adding herbs also helps keep bugs away.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
The coffee bags are pretty much the same as the corn warmers that I make except I make the corners such that the bag sits up. When I stitch my inside muslin bag, I then put both seams together and stitch across making about a 1 inch "tail" at each corner. This makes the bag more square (not quite sure how to explain this).

Do the cherry pits smell when you warm the bags up?
Not really sure why you want the bags to sit up? I made three different sized bags, the two larger ones are just slightly different in size, one is square, the other rectangular. They are filled with rice and lavender buds.

I have never had a problem with bugs or rodents, and some of the bags I have around here have been around, and used and reused for a long time. I thought it was an interesting remark about how many times one could be used before it had to be replaced. I don't see that as a problem.

I do put them into ziplocks if I put them into the freezer to keep the cloth dry. Frost free my Aunt Fanny, lol.