Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I make mine in 3 sections to each section I add 1 cup of rice and 2 tbsp of pickling salt.
What does the pickling salt do?
Spice up your life? :) :wink: :-P
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM

I make my rice bags with muslin for the inner; then use 100% cotton for the "pillowcase". I'm sure flannel would do great for the outside. I also add lavender sometimes; gives a good smell.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM

made some with rice and most with flax seeds. family/friends preferred the flax seed filled bags - same heat experience but much softer on the back / feet / shoulders.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by laralea
dried corn - not popcorn. I have a great article on why and how to use feed corn and I've made lots of bags with it. I'll be happy to send the pdf file if you pm me. I checked the website diamondthreadworks.com where I got it and it's no longer there.
I'd think corn would not be comfortable. You don't ever feel the sharp ends?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 AM

Now don't laugh... Or maybe you should... I used bird seed! The kind you get at Lowes. It is clean, bug free, and extremely aromatic, when misted with water and microwaved for 20 seconds, it is awesome!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 AM

I made a large foot warmer for MIL. The muslin was sewn down the middle making 2 foot-sized portions. I used flax seeds and lavendar essential oil. Found both at Whole Foods.

Then the fabric cover held the flax bag but also had a top flap piece to flip over the top of her feet (no flax, just quilted fabric).

She loves it!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM

How about putting velcro tags on the bags so they can stay wrapped around ankles, necks, etc. easier? Or just ribbon ties? And you know that these can be frozen as well as heated for the times when a cold pack is needed.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 AM

I've used rice which works well but have heard feed corn retains the heat longer. I plan to make a few with the feed corn and see. I read somewhere about using BB pellets but haven't tried that one yet.

I usually make the bag out of muslin and make a little pillowcase for it. The pillowcase can be removed and washed if needed.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

we started making rice bags about 10 years ago- i use long-grain white rice (i buy it in bulk- inexpensive) we tried a couple other fillers (dried corn/ beans) hated the smell when it was heated- went back to rice.
i always make them in muslin first then cover with what ever-
the ones we made the granddaughters i made removeable covers for - so they can take the muslin bag out and wash the flannel cover. they stay warm a long time- i also keep one in a ziplock in the door of the freezer for when a cold pack is needed- works equally great for that.
my son in law is in the Army- and the first time he was being deployed we took pictures of him holding/hugging each of the girls- printed the picture on fabric- for each girl- and made them rice bags-so when they are missing him they can warm their bag and have a warm-daddy hug to snuggle with-
he has one too that he takes with him that has all 3 of his girls on it - he gets to missing them too :)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 AM

I use Flax Seed