Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM

Your flannel is beautiful.

I use rice. Your topic reminds me that I need to make some more bags. We have been using heavy mens' cotton socks filled with rice and tie a knot with the top of the sock. It works so well.

We often put the heated socks (2 minutes for us) in our bed before we go to bed on winter nights to warm the bed... oh, so nice to crawl in. Please have your Mom test with different heating times. Often I cut the time down to one minute depending on what part of my body I am laying it next to, especially if it is directly on my skin. Rice is so wonderful and holds the heat for a reasonable amount of time. I hope your Mom's feet are nice and comfortably toasty this winter. Bless you. :-D
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM

What a great gift idea, now that the colder weather is coming! Coupled with the poem! I know a little something that my nurse manager will be receiving! Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 AM

I have made these bags with both corn and rice. I thought the corn one was a bit rough. I made one of each, heated them both at the same time for 1 minute, took them out, placed them on the counter, then measured them at 5 minute intervals for 30 minutes. The rice bag held the temp. the best. But I know a lot of people swear by the corn, so you might want to experiment like I did. Besides, I now have a 40 pound bag of corn--going to give it to a best friend to feed her chickens. LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 AM

I have a field corn bag I received as a gift for years and have never had a problem with any kind of bugs or anything. I would think just by heating it in the micro wave would kill any bugs.
My bag is fairly long, A bit longer than 12 inches. And it is not stuffed too full. I use it at my feet or for my shoulders,and I also take it camping just to warm me up in the camper. It is a nice size for wrapping it around a knee or where ever you need it. But YES you must be careful not to make it too hot because you can burn yourself.As for myself I really love mine and it helps a lot on my aches and pains.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ranbro
I have made these bags with both corn and rice. I thought the corn one was a bit rough. I made one of each, heated them both at the same time for 1 minute, took them out, placed them on the counter, then measured them at 5 minute intervals for 30 minutes. The rice bag held the temp. the best. But I know a lot of people swear by the corn, so you might want to experiment like I did. Besides, I now have a 40 pound bag of corn--going to give it to a best friend to feed her chickens. LOL
Thank you for this information. My mom has mobility problems so when she lays down it is difficult for her to get back up therefore I want something that will hold heat well and be comfortable without burning her. She lives in Texas also and believe it or not it can get cold at times.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Is this the poem you want? The Rice Bag

This little pillow filled with rice,
Is such a comforting device.
Microwave for 2 minutes on high,
And kiss those aches and pains goodbye.
Apply it to the troubled spot,
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes so cold,
You'll find this nice to have and hold.
Or freeze it for a little while,
And fix that boo-boo up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
Use this pillow filled with rice.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 AM

I use deer corn because it doesn't pop. It does retain the heat for a long time. I make a lot of them for elderly people. It seems that that the older you get the colder you get. Three minutes in the micro-wave and you are good to go.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 AM

What a wonderful stream of comments. I have one of the neck rolls that I used when my neck was sore, but I hadn't heard of the ones to warm the feet. I think that is a great idea. Is there a popular pattern for making these, as I haven't seen them before? This would be fun to include in Christmas packages.
I also love the poem. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM

I found the rice bag poem and other helpful hint at http://quiltbug.com/articles/microwave-bag.htm
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 AM

I use a mixture of 50/50 rice and feed corn. I've made 12" x 12" or 12" x 24" (use what you have that is close) I sew three sides like a pillow case, then sew channels up the long way.
Fill each channel 1/3 then fold over top sew zigzag to close

IF 12 x 24 then mark halfway point on the long, fill 1/3 to that mark, zigzag the half mark, fill 1/3 of the second half and close as above.

I like the 12 x 24 as I can put it under and over my feet at the same time.