Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM

I have a hot pad that is filled with sand and sewed every inch in rows.
This might work for a foot warmer.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, please send the information to me. Our church sewing ladies are making the bags for a fundraiser and are trying to find an economical filler for them. Didn't think of feed corn. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Does anyone know if you can use wheat in them. Has anyone tried it?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by AnnT
I've used rice which works well but have heard feed corn retains the heat longer. I plan to make a few with the feed corn and see. I read somewhere about using BB pellets but haven't tried that one yet.

I usually make the bag out of muslin and make a little pillowcase for it. The pillowcase can be removed and washed if needed.
BBs are made of metal. I don't think you would be wanting to be putting those in your microwave. Seems like it would blow up? If foil, spoons, etc are a bad idea....well, I would skip the bbs.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LORNAD
Does anyone know if you can use wheat in them. Has anyone tried it?
I have some walnut shells left over from a project that my hubby did, do you know if they will work.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I use crushed walnut shells for the weight and buckwheat hulls for the fill with less weight..both can take the micro and not be HOT to burn, nor do they pop, burn, etc or attract bugs. You can also get a corn cobb litter at walmart that works really well! Also all 3 of these can absorb essential oils like lavender to help with aroma therapy!

I too make a bag using canvas, or denim then make a pretty sleeve for it go into.
Sorry, I missed your post. I have a huge bag of the walnut shells. Do you micro for the same time, about 1-2 minutes?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I have been making the bags, all shapes and sizes, for years, and I use rice with some lavender buds tossed in. I noticed that someone said they used bird seed and misted it. Wetting the rice is a good way to get a serious burn. I know someone who tried it.

I like the rice because it makes for a moist heat each time you use it. The best way to heat it is for a minute, roll the bag in your hand to redistribute the rice, then heat it more until it is a temp you want. The biggest bag I have takes about 90 seconds to heat completely.

I have made a couple with ties on them to wrap around my shoulders then tie to hold in place. They make nice gifts, and if you make them with removable covers, last forever.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM

My DM has one that was given to her and it has cherry pits in it. It stays warm for quite a long time & smells good. I don't know where you would get cherry pits though.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 AM

I use dried cherry pits. The pits retain the heat for a long time. You can order the cherry pits on line from Traverse City, Michigan. The pits are very clean when you receive them. Give them a try :)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM

I"ve tried rice, beans and flax… FLAX is by far superior in my opinion…it holds the heat longer… I like to put my heated flax warmer under a pillow at my side on a cold night.. it stays warm most of the night ! so soothing along my spine.. when I can't get my feet warmed up , I just push my warmer to my feet and ahhh..it warms them right up…… have fun making it… PS they make awesome Christmas gifts…even the little grandkids love them….