Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice bags >

Rice bags

Rice bags

Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Hey, I love my Bed Buddy!!!! Never thought about keep my lunch hot with it though. That's a pretty neat idea!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 AM

I received one last night from a friend. She made it rectangular and had sectioned it off so that the rice won't shift. She used muslin for this step and then made a lovely patterned cover with an opening to slip the rice bag inside.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 AM

I've made them for years. Have on shaped with a neck "cutout" that sits on my shoulder. I've used cotton and/or flannel. For the shoulder ones, I put "channels" in so the rice stays in each section. I add cinnamon to the rice and they smell wonderful....
Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 AM

How do you get the rice distributed after you sew the maze pattern? I'm assuming you sew it before putting in the rice because otherwise the rice would be in the way and possibly damage your needle. I've made a number of rice bags and try to make each section small enough that rice is reasonably evenly distributed, but I like the sound of your idea if I could actually make it work!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 AM

I made many, many, many of these a few years ago. I made the bags up of muslin, put the rice in, then sewed it up. I then made several covers out of flannel (you could use any fabric) with a velcro closing. That way if it got dirty, you just had to wash the cover. I also made many sizes, long and thin, square, etc....
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ahafun
How do you get the rice distributed after you sew the maze pattern? I'm assuming you sew it before putting in the rice because otherwise the rice would be in the way and possibly damage your needle. I've made a number of rice bags and try to make each section small enough that rice is reasonably evenly distributed, but I like the sound of your idea if I could actually make it work!
you just pour a little rice in at a time and shift it around till it is in all the right places. at least that is how I do it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 AM

I've used flax seeds before for mine. I have a big bag of it if anyone would like to buy some. The main thing would be the cost of shipping ~ not much would fit in the $5.00 flat rate small "VCR tape" size box

Kris
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 AM

I have made them to use for pain, never thought of using them to keep food hot. What a neat idea!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM

For bread basket warmers, I've made some using unglazed tiles. Just made a fabric envelope to fit the size tile I used and then heat the tile in the oven (never tried the microwave) and put it in its envelope and put that in the bottom of bread basket under the basket liner.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 AM

I make mine with a washcloth folded in half---serge around the edges---leave an opening ---fill with rice and them finish with the serger---quick and easy and use them both hot and cold---keep one in the freezer all the time