Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ricky Tims fabric

Ricky Tims fabric

I just realized I own a half-yard piece of Ricky Tims hand dyed fabric and didn't know it! LOL

I was at the Shipshewana Quilt Festival last month, where he was the featured guest. In the registration package was a rolled up piece of fabric, 1 FQ, a bunch of coupons, etc. Well, there was a question on the facebook page about the rolled up fabric and the answer was 'yes, it is a Ricky Tims piece of fabric'. I hadn't put everything away from my shopping and it was still rolled up. He sells it for $25/yard.

I was able to attend 1 of his lectures, his evening concert/show and another 30 minute class he put on. If you ever get a chance to see him anywhere near you, GO! He is an excellent teacher and an extraordinary storyteller.
    Last edited by carrieg; 07-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Carol in Michigan

Blog Entries

my mom (gramajo) and I were there too and saw Ricky. He puts on great shows and is such a nice and funny person. Mom's avatar is a picture of her and Ricky.
    Tammy

Blog Entries
    Maybe some day he will come to our area. I'll be on the look out. How great is that to get a piece of that fabric. Makes you want to frame it, doesn't it?
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Quote Originally Posted by kuseta View Post
    my mom (gramajo) and I were there too and saw Ricky. He puts on great shows and is such a nice and funny person. Mom's avatar is a picture of her and Ricky.
    Tammy and I got to the show early and had front row seats. After Ricky was finished setting up his equipment, he sat on the edge of the stage and invited us all to go up for autographs or pictures. After several women had been up, Tammy urged me to have my picture taken. I felt so foolish, but am glad I did.

He greeted several women who had been to his seminars in LaVeta and seemed so glad to see them. They chatted for several minutes and one said she'd be going to his seminar again in Sept.

He is a great storyteller and quite funny. We heard all about his childhood and his "granny" and her sunbonnet for the garden. The most recent issue of "The Quilt Life" had a contest of what Sunbonnet Sue does during the summer. There was a picture of Ricky wearing his "granny's" bonnet. He has a great sense of humor.

If you ever get a chance to see Ricky Tims, GO.
    Last edited by gramajo; 07-06-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    My avatar is Rickys hand dyes

for my stack&wack I bought some orange and green fabrics as background on the internet.
    I doubted first because the colours were very bright.
    When they arrived I saw in the selvedge they were ricky timm's also.
    Lovely surprise...btw don't think they are handdyed or are all of his fabrics??
    But nevertheless I'm proud of having them to.
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Years ago, I read about when he and his partener first went to Col. His partener (sorry I can't remember his name do to serior moment) wanted to put in a fish pond. I laughted until I cried, at times I couldn't breath. If you can get him to tell the story, you won't be disappointed. I should be a classic. Sandy

He was great! Even got to sit in on his 30 minute Schoolhouse class on Convergence. He's professional because he covered a great deal of info in those 30 minutes.

Don't know what to do with this 1/2 yard. Keep it with all my other 'special' pieces! LOL
    Carol in Michigan

I wish I could attend his seminars and meet him in person. He is so talented and gifted in so many areas. His instructions are always clear and concise. I also wish I could afford more of his fabrics and threads.

I went to his seminar on Cape Cod and it was awesome. Alex Anderson and Libby Lehman were there as well.
    Took my sister to see him in New Orleans in January. We couldn't do the seminar but we attended his concert where he played and told stories. She loved it. If you ever have a chance to go it is well worth it.

Blog Entries
    A few years go a couple of companies put out printed fabric designed by Ricky. They are not hand dyed. I got some to use for backing on the back of a hand dyed front. Really cut the cost down. The hand dyes are sold directly by Ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by fien777 View Post
    for my stack&wack I bought some orange and green fabrics as background on the internet.
    I doubted first because the colours were very bright.
    When they arrived I saw in the selvedge they were ricky timm's also.
    Lovely surprise...btw don't think they are handdyed or are all of his fabrics??
    But nevertheless I'm proud of having them to.

Blog Entries
    Ricky designs for Red Rooster fabrics. I have met him many times at the Paducah quilt show. He is usually in his booth when he's not teaching, making special appearances or getting ready for his evening performances. His partner, Justin, is usually in their vendor booth at the show selling the hand dyed fabrics. I think it's $25 per fat quarter? I remember thinking it was very expensive.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Opps it's $25 per yard, not per fat quarter.
    Got fabric?

You are so lucky. I ordered his book and it arrived a few days ago. I wish I could afford his fabric, too but I am in luck and I have a friend who owns a quilt shop. She has an awesome variety of fabrics that is going to work out well with his patterns. I have a couple of other projects to complete and them I am off to create a convergence.