Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To rip or not >

To rip or not

To rip or not

Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Default To rip or not

I am working on a new piece using a double batt. One poly with wool on top. Quilting with 100 wt. silk thread on my sweet 16. My question is do I take out and redo these 4 ticks on the back. The front is fine. So if I leave them and enter in a competition what would the judges say. Thanks[ATTACH=CONFIG]605501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605504[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 463b5f5c-41b4-4102-879f-a3419c41de02.jpeg   5ba27dc4-cd8c-45d1-87f4-364213b4f3c0.jpeg   92ed9d93-a573-44b3-ae5b-e657449a0a0b.jpeg   da07bcbe-48f9-4744-93d6-ee9a6bda700a.jpeg   9cddd5bf-0be5-4926-972f-6488c75da2a2.jpeg  

Old 12-18-2018, 01:35 PM

if you are entering into a competition,then unfortunately, yes you need to rip it out. Your design looks very nice and looks like it will warrant being in a show. Judges will note that right away though.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

It doesn’t look like a lot of fabric caught in the stitching. Carefully cut the thread in the middle of the design and pull out the stitching and leave tails long enough to knot and bury the threads. Once it is out, take some straight pins and pin the extra on the backing away from where you will be requiting. Check to make sure the pins are far enough away, redo the design.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:07 PM

I agree if you want to enter it you should rip it out
Old 12-19-2018, 06:03 AM

I won a Judge's Choice ribbon at a national show with pleats on the back of my quilt (not just little ticks like yours). I was really disappointed with the pleats, but they were impossible to remove without redoing the whole quilt. I entered the quiilt anyway and was shocked to get a ribbon. They must not have examined the back.

I knew they were there, and it really bothered me, so I gave it away to the first person who said they liked the colors.

You are the only one who can decide if it is worth the effort to remove them.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I won a Judge's Choice ribbon at a national show with pleats on the back of my quilt (not just little ticks like yours). I was really disappointed with the pleats, but they were impossible to remove without redoing the whole quilt. I entered the quiilt anyway and was shocked to get a ribbon. They must not have examined the back.
IMHO any ribbon at any quilt show is a high honor, heck it is a high honor to simply get juried into some of these shows the competition is so fierce. But to help clarify for the OP, usually (but not always) the judges choice ribbon is the one case where objective judging goes out the window. They are not judging the technical merits of the quilt but the subjective beauty and what truly appeals to them so a quilt that would not otherwise ribbon in a major show based on the criteria of its technical merit (ie, binding full, miters sewn shut, no chopped points, good tension in quilting, quilting stitches are even, etc) could indeed win a Judges Choice ribbon. It can most easily be compared to People Choice, Vendor's Choice or Faculty choice. They are choosing their favorite quilt, what appeals to them and don't care if it may have a structural flaw or it didn't earn enough points in each category of the judging criteria (which isn't universal, it can vary from show to show). From the FB page of a certified quilt judge: https://www.facebook.com/ChristineBr...9254789008428/

So only you can decide if you want to rip those small pleats or let them go. I have entered shows where I was certain I would be cited on something I perceived as a flaw in my quilting (or binding, or piecing) and it was not even mentioned on my judging sheet. However I also didn't win a judged award, by judged I mean placed 1st 2nd, 3rd or Honorable mention in category I entered. I did take a Faculty choice ribbon though. The tucks you pictured appear to be pretty small and if quilting around them is dense it may just completely camouflage those small tucks.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post

I knew they were there, and it really bothered me, so I gave it away to the first person who said they liked the colors.

You are the only one who can decide if it is worth the effort to remove them.
As was stated in the above comments: Yes, take those stitches out. It looks like you have not gotten past these tucks so it will be easy to fix now.

The Judge does look at the back. However, they may not see the tucks. OR the tucks will jump up and grab their eyes! :-). They will probably be commented on.

As for winning a Judges Choice ribbon. The Judges Choice is not a place winning ribbon. It is a: "I noted your work, I saw something worth acknowledging, something caught my attention" ribbon. This ribbon is usually given to a quilt that did not place but there was something about it that the Judge felt could/should be recognized. In saying that, the Judge may have seen your tucks but felt the quilt should still get "her" ribbon.

As the ribbon says, it is the "Judges" ribbon to acknowledge a quilt that did not get a placement ribbon. I hope I am explaining this clear enough. :-/.

I know I have said this before and do not mean to keep waving a flag, but as information to you, I am a quilt Judge in Colorado.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Thank you for all your comments I have decided not to rip on this one. This is a memory piece for one of my grand daughters from one of my mother’s hankies. As I have 7 to do these will make good practice pieces for me and my new machine. I am finding that I really don’t care for the double batting combination of poly and wool. Too fluffy.

Again thank you
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I agree if you want to enter it you should rip it out
I agree, and it's not as much work as it may appear to be. I don't show my quilts, but have often had to make the decision to fix a booboo, and it always seems terribly difficult until you finally make yourself do it. It's so good to have it fixed, just for your peace of mind.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grannies G View Post
Thank you for all your comments I have decided not to rip on this one. This is a memory piece for one of my grand daughters from one of my mother’s hankies. As I have 7 to do these will make good practice pieces for me and my new machine. I am finding that I really don’t care for the double batting combination of poly and wool. Too fluffy.

Again thank you
Oh yes, Poly and wool double batting would be very fluffy. On the next one try wool over something flat and dense like W&N or QD cotton. I think you will be much happier with that combination. I have also done poly over a flat dense batting with great results.

Additionally I think your combo of poly and wool contributed a great deal to the pleating on the back.