Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Riped it all apart.... >

Riped it all apart....

Riped it all apart....

Old 01-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I try to not rip apart finished work as it can distort the pieces. I put it up on my design wall and let it stew for a while. Sometimes I am just tired of a top and letting it rest let’s me like it again. If I still hate it, I finish it and give it away.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:23 PM

Maybe these "don't like" quilts could just be donated someplace.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:51 PM

I did 3 quilts that I really disliked. I just could not throw them in the trash so I finished them with label and all. One was a large quilt, one was a lap quilt size and I posted the third one, really the worst one. this is why I finish my "ugly" quilt - Quiltingboard Forums

I folded them and left them on the back of my couch or at the foot of the bed in my guest bedroom. I still can't believe that some of my friends loved them! Most of the time I can tell when someone is really sincere or is only being nice, gentle or polite when they say that they love something can't you?
To see them so happy that I gave them the quilt was worth all the effort I had put in finishing them... That made me happy that it did not end up in the trash bin.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:05 PM

Are you going to ever love the fabric? Is another project going to work for it?

Nothing wrong with moving it along and gifting to someone else to finish. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:50 PM

I am not patient enough to deal with seam ripping a quilt, especially that far into it. it will either get turned into a dog quilt or donation quilt. I have also been known to turn it into a backing for a different quilt. Worst case, I will do the lazy man's seam ripping, which means I rotary cut near the seams and try to salvage the larger pieces, tossing out the stitched seam areas.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 AM

I chose fabrics for a quilt I was making as a gift. I thought my choices were brilliant. I made up 4 large blocks and hated the look. I couldn't bear to throw away all that work and money. Those blocks are awaiting placement in an orphan block quilt someday. Even if I don't like it, it will keep someone warm.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:30 AM

If I can, I just use scissors to cut off SA.