Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Riped it all apart.... >

Riped it all apart....

Riped it all apart....

Old 01-19-2023, 03:13 AM

Default Riped it all apart....

Have you ever cut & sewn blocks only to discover that you hate it? I do mean HATE it!! Did you throw it all away or rip out every seam and put the pieces into your scrap tote? This happened to me yesterday. It was a nice Lori Holt Cross Stitch layer cake, so I'm thinking to rip it all out and save the pieces for another scrap quilt. The fabric just seems so dull to me with only little X's on it, that the quilt filmsy just didn't have any pazzaz (?sp). Maybe mixed with other fabric it will. Here little seam ripper...come to momma!!
Old 01-19-2023, 04:33 AM

I don't I ever had one I hated THAT much. LOL I love you last comment about the seam ripper - "Come to Momma". I named my seam ripper Steve. He is my best friend and we have LOTS of conversations together. Some conversations involve curse words but not all. Good luck with your ripping project and hopefully the next quilt will behave better.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:35 AM

I started ripping one out that just wasn't working, and gave it up as a waste of time. All of the fabric was a 'cheaper' brand that ripping it out just made a mess of it. After painstakingly ripping/taking apart three or four blocks, I just tossed the whole thing and never looked back. It was a waste of money (not a lot) but still money, so I hesitated and put it in time out for a few hours, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I wouldn't use it again and tossed all of it that same day.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:45 AM

Yes, sometimes the idea just doesn't work. Sometimes I just put it on the free table at Guild. Sometimes it goes into the trash.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:00 AM

I've been there, done that. In my case I ended up throwing it in the trash. It wasn't expensive fabric and I only sewed 8 squares and it just wasn't calling my name.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:20 AM

Yes I have. Do we need to start a support group? Can't remember what it was but too much fab to toss out. If it happens to me again, I'll donate to my Project Linus group. Someone always loves what we hate...lol
Old 01-19-2023, 05:23 AM

Nah, I never rip up a quilt top or collection of blocks, I just finish it off as best I can and use it as a donation quilt. At this moment I have a UFO hanging in my close waiting for sandwiching that I don't like.. But if someone is cold and in need of a "blanket" then this would fill the fill. I will sandwich straight line stitch, bind and out the door.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:46 AM

if you really hate it, give it to charity. someone will find it and do something great with it!
Old 01-19-2023, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I've done both. If I really like the fabric I may rip but I often just toss it with zero guilt!

I recently started a pattern that I ended up HATING but I reworked the fabric into a different design and I was very pleased with the result. That was a first for me. I'm no designer so it was a happy surprise!
Old 01-19-2023, 07:48 AM

I might a block or two, but not if I've already got the top to the point I could quilt it. I've yet to have any quilt not find a home, no matter how much I disliked it personally.

I just spent hours ripping apart hexagons I'd sewn in pairs and a few sets. Decided that I'd never finish the quilt if I kept dealing with hexagons. It's a GFG, with flowers and then green "leaves" between them. I had the flowers all done, and sewed the blue hexi row around them, and then trimmed it so it was one big hexi. I cut setting triangles out of another green and sewed them on to make rows.

This is a quilt my mother had started about 40 years ago, and a lot of the hexies had been cut. I was able to retrim the hexies into 2.5" squares and use them for another project. I have not quilted the top yet, but after 40 years, it is ready for that step! After trimming, I had about 250 blue and 300 green squares.