Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Roomba any good for us (quilters)?

Is Roomba any good for us (quilters)?

I am so tempted to get one. Imagine the little guy sweeping up threads and small pieces of fabric!
    But I am unsure because I've tried a Shark sweeper before, and the "rollers" get entangled by the threads! I know they are different, but I just want to hear more.
    Anyone with a Roomba can share his/her experience?
    Thanks

I havent tried a roomba in my sewing room, it did a good job just vaccuming the house tho. Because I have 2 long haired cats, I would have to clean the roller bar out after every use, and sometimes it needed to be done during use too.

I have one too and love it. It does a great job but haven't used it in the sewing room yet. I am worried about ruining the rollers from all the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    I have one too and love it. It does a great job but haven't used it in the sewing room yet. I am worried about ruining the rollers from all the thread.
    Same concern here!

I have about made up my mind to gat a Mint. It cleans and light washes too. Have read all the info on it and think I will go with this instead of the Rumba.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

The Roomba comes with a tool that easily cuts the threads from the rollers. It's a plastic tool, with claws on one side and a hidden razor blade on the other. You slide the razor blade down the brushes once, and then use the claw side to make quick work of removing the threads. Of course, I've never used mine. My quilting room never has threads on the floor. (cough, cough... gasp, coughing more)
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I don't have enough room for the roomba to work much, besides I love my $15 little Bissel 3 in 1 stick vac. It stays plugged in and I just run it around the room lickety split!

I think they are neat, BUT I already trip over our 3 cats who always seem to be no further than 3 feet from me all the time. Lol. I thought my kids were grown.

My favorite part about the roomba when I had it...It sat in its little dock, and the cats apparently liked walking on it, including stepping on the on button on the top of the machine. It was always a nice surprise to come home and find that the cats had vaccumed. Of course the roomba always ended up in one of the back bedrooms, too lost to find its way back to the dock. And it always ran out of battery charge while it was way back under the bed.

Blog Entries
    I have too much junk on my floor! I have the Dyson Animal. Very powerful

A nice thing about the Roomba scheduler, you can set it to go off at 2 AM so it's done by the time you wake up! It has wall thingees you can put in doorways to keep it from going where you don't want it to go. Mine wore itself out, I need to buy a new one! They are faaabulous for a house with all wood floors and a cat!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I have all hard surface floors so I went with a Mint. You can use Swifter Sheets with it, but I cut up left over cotton batting and use that. I love it. It also mops. It does come with 2 cloths for sweeping and 1 cloth for mopping, but I can't seem to get them washed prior to when I want to use again. Well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    I have all hard surface floors so I went with a Mint. You can use Swifter Sheets with it, but I cut up left over cotton batting and use that. I love it. It also mops. It does come with 2 cloths for sweeping and 1 cloth for mopping, but I can't seem to get them washed prior to when I want to use again. Well worth the investment.
    Ah, another one to look into. Thanks! So this sweeps and mops, that is one up compared to Roomba

There is a 'new' one out that is being advertised on TV that uses a swifter pad, I think it is called Mint automatic floor cleaner and is being sold by Bed Bath and Beyond.....now that may be good for a sewing room, no rollers.

Blog Entries
    My husband gave me one a few years ago for Christmas. (Yes, you get that kind of gift after 50 years of marriage). It was really his toy. Mine didn't vacuum, it just swept up like the old fashioned carpet sweepers. My sewing room floor space is so small that it really didn't have much area to go and do it's thing. We stopped using it when the battery died and the replacement ones were so very expensive.

I loved mine, but like Lucio when the battery went dead, I have not replaced it. They are very expensive. Although I can say it did last a long time. Maybe one of these days I will break down and get another.
    Amythyst

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    The Roomba is fantastic! I use it in my sewing room all the time. Threads clean off great with the little tool Roomba has.

I don't have anything on my floor. Am I the only one? I have the little pin cushions with bags bags hanging on my cutting table and sewing machine table. As I make a mess I put the threads and scraps in there. The biggest problem I had was pins but now I use the bigger ones with heads and I can find them if I drop them.

I don't have anything on my floor. Am I the only one? I have the little pin cushions with bags hanging on my cutting table and sewing machine table. As I make a mess I put the threads and scraps in there. The biggest problem I had was pins but now I use the bigger ones with heads and I can find them if I drop them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I have too much junk on my floor! I have the Dyson Animal. Very powerful
    Me too. A Roomba wouldn't touch it. It would run under the nearest piece of furniture and hide!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Hope we get more opinions on this. I have been looking at the Mint and the Roomba also. I trust the opinions on this board.

I'd rather be a jeannie and just blink to get my housework done! lol!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Love, love, love my roomba! I just got a new one for a great price at Costco.
    My old one last 3 years on one battery. New battery was about $60 with coupon so $20 a year, but right after I got the new battery the brushes stopped turning so a new one was needed. I don't have any carpets so I think that makes it easier on the machine. If anyone comes out with a machine that will clean itself, that will be the one to buy!
    I've never checked out the mint.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I had one I have to get a new battery for it but I loved it! It was great with dog hair since I have 2 dogs. I didn't try it with threads but i'm sure it would be fine

Hahaha.. I would love for my husband to buy me a roomba!
    I can get the clothes/fabrics/fancy stuff I want myself (just charge to his card)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast