Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rose of Sharon Quilt >

Rose of Sharon Quilt

Rose of Sharon Quilt

Old 05-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Thanks QuiltMom, I love all types! Right now I'm slowly making a needleturn quilt but had it in my mind to add some more designs (The free pattern is here: http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...?patternID=307) for more variety and because I want to make it bigger.

Aside from that, I found the OESD Rose of Sharon and was blown away so I was thinking of purchasing it to make a machine applique quilt. But its disappointing to read its been problematic per the previous post here. I guess I'm leaning toward a machine applique version right now.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by June K View Post
I have spent over a year accumulating all the fabric, book, stencils, OESD Embroidery CD, Sharon Pederson's CD, and all other items needed to make this beautiful quilt.

How-ever I have learned that the OESD embroidery CD is not compatible with the templates or stencils. Before beginning this expensive project would like to know if anyone has had a problem with the embroidery feature and how you overcame it.
Are the templates and stencils from a different vendor? Do you need templates and stencils if you have the EMB machine design? I think these are two different methods to make the quilt.

The embroidery design will stitch a placement stitch for the applique. Place the fabric down and then a tack down stitch. Trim around the design and then the final decorative stitches.

Some embroidery now include the "cut files" for using a cutting machine to cut the applique.

I'm not sure how to do the embroidery on the back so it works with the design on the front. Is that you are looking to do with the ROS?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:31 AM

I just found this blog post that I thought was helpful:http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2011/0...uilt-rose.html. I'm going to hold of for now, but leaning toward the AG version.

Last edited by JenF; 05-03-2018 at 02:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 AM

Jen,

Thanks for the article as it explained the problem quite well. I can certainly see where the confusion happens with the designer and pattern names being the same.

The AG version should work fine. The tutorials are helpful and usually include a step-by-step How-To along with the color chart. The leaves are applique. I can check over the weekend and let you know as it's been a while since I stitched these designs.

What EMB machine do you use? Some of the machines have an applique cut file that can be transferred to a cutting machine. A whole new learning process. LOL. Do you have a cutting machine?

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:44 PM

I have a Brother EMB machine and the Brother Scan-N-Cut. They interact well and I can easily turn my files into cut files on the machine, but I have to admit that I like sewing down the fabric with the tack down stitch and cutting it close with a good pair of scissors. Sometimes I find that to be less steps, but I do love my scan-n-cut. I would try it on something like this though. Normally I use it for cutting and marking my needle turn shapes but I'm sure I could find more uses for it, lol! Thanks again for your review of the AG version. It sounds great.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 AM

Now I'm thinking about all the cutting that will be involved in a quilt like this and glad I have the Scan-N-Cut to fall back on. What other cutting methods are members using?
Old 05-04-2018, 06:25 AM

Jen,

I have the SNC machine also but haven't quite mastered it yet. I can trim out the fabric faster than setting it up for cut files. LOL.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Rhonda, I know what you mean. If you have a brother sewing machine, you can change an embroidery file to a cut file simply changing the color to the color that has the scissor emblem on it. Then save it that way on your flash drive and put it into your scan-n-cut.

I decided to order the dvd Sharon Pederson presents after seeing the chapters in this YouTube presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3ZnXNRwGk
Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Thanks JenF!

Yes, I have the Dream and I keep the instructions by the machine. LOL. My local dealer and I went through all the steps one day and printed How-To copies for other members.

The DVD looks promising. Look like she discusses the AC die also during the presentation.

Enjoy!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:46 PM

I'm bummed because Amazon sent the wrong item. I didn't get the DVD after all. Back to the drawing board!