Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Blade

Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    Look up Harbor Freight it's a hardware retailer, they also sell online, discount items and imports, these may also be at other retailers, Lowes or Depot, OSH, Farmer supply, ACE in the carpet tool supply area. :)
    I just bought some at HF and paid 1.46 for 2. What a savings.
    I love a good deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SittingPretty
    Thanks so much for the link. I went to our local Harbour Freight yesterday, but the clerk had not heard of such a thing. Now I have the picture and the lot number of both the blade and the cutter. The cutter looks interesting, but we'd have to figure out the size of the base in order to cut accurately. I t would push the blade past the edge of our rulers, but wouldn't it be a great way to keep our blades straight up & down?
    Their style carpet cutter won't work for quilters. Use your own cutter (Olfa, Fiskars, etc); just get the replacement blades at Harbor Freight. :)

Here's another thread that talks about the blades at Harbor Freight: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59115-1.htm And here's a thread talking about Super Grip Handles at Harbor Freight: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59794-1.htm

I think we quilters are making them be out of stock! :lol:

Many times if your blade is not cutting properly, its the cutting mat that is the problem. I find if I use one of those mat sanders (for lack of the true name), it will smooth out those grooves in the mat and the blade will cut better. Try it.

I visited our Harbor Freight the other day. They were out
    of the blades but a young man was so nice. Gave me the
    product number and phone number. Told me when to call back
    to check. They are sold under carpet cutter and replacement
    blades.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Yes, yes, why don't we change those things more often? I wish the blades were cheaper. I'd change mine daily. I bet arthritis drugs cost more than new rotary blades. My elbow is messed up and in need of new blades.
    They ARE cheaper, at Harbor Freight. There is another thread going on right now about buying your rotary blades at Harbor Freight and get 2 blades in a pkg. for 1.49.
    And I agree with this thread, I used to leave mine in way too long. But the price charged for them at sewing and fabric stores is SO high. Frugality is my middle name.

8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by SittingPretty
    Thanks so much for the link. I went to our local Harbour Freight yesterday, but the clerk had not heard of such a thing. Now I have the picture and the lot number of both the blade and the cutter. The cutter looks interesting, but we'd have to figure out the size of the base in order to cut accurately. I t would push the blade past the edge of our rulers, but wouldn't it be a great way to keep our blades straight up & down?
    Don't use their cutters, they're for carpets. Just the blades in your Fiskar 45 rotary cutters.

Boy, do I need to do that too. I've been cutting for one quilt for days (literally). Lots and lots of cutting. My blade will hardly cut any more, yet I keep holding out. I'm not sure why.

Speaking of blades going dull too fast--I have been told by more than one person that using those white cutting mats (usually sold at quilt fests, etc)really do cut (pun intended) the life of your blades.

I guess you have not read the other chats. You can get 45mm blades at Harbor Freight for $1.49 for a pack of two.
    They are called carpet cutter blades but they work in most cutters.
    Right now so many quilters have found them they are on back order but in a few weeks they will be back.
    Just look up Harbor Freight on the computer and then look up strore locater.
    If there are non close to you, they can be ordered on line.
    If you have a store close call to make sure they have them in stock first.
    Good luck.

I went to Harbor Freight Saturday to get blades, but they were all out, :( so I picked up one of their carpet cutters, with three blades in the package for $3.99. I wanted to make sure the blades fit my cutter before making DH go back sometime for more blades on his lunch hour & figured at that price I could afford to throw the cheap plastic handle away! I replaced the blade in my Olfa cutter when I got home & gave it a try! I didn't realize that my blade was soooooo dull!

I also got several of the heavy duty suction cup handles for myself & to use as Christmas presents for a couple other quilters in my life, at $2.99! Oh and I got a metal tape measure to use for the snap purses I want to make! So with my 4 suction cup handles, tape measure & carpet cutter/3 blades, I only spent a little over $17 plus tax! I think I'm in LOVE!!! ;D I hope they get those blades in soon. Even better, DH also found a couple things he couldn't live without & pd for the whole works!

Hi, I have a rotary blade sharpener that I got at Clotilde.com. Works really well and I haven't bought any new blades since I purchases the sharpener. They also have a needle sharpener for you sewing machine needles that works great also. Here's the link: http://www.Clotilde.com/detail.html?...lade+sharpener

Must have been the weekend for it! I changed mine too and had the same thoughts! Why do I wait so long...the cutter just seems to glide now! :)

I went to Harbor Freight in Reno NV and they had the cutter but no replacement blades. When I asked, they had NO idea what I was talking about.

It's the yellow "Central Forge" brand cutter & 3 blades in the yellow & red package (Item # 95378) for $3.99. The replacement blades must be the same brand, & they come in packs of two blades for $1.49. I found the cutter & the hook for the blades just below the cutter, in the same aisle, on the opposite side of the aisle, as the tape measures and hand saws, etc.

I remember that the cutter was $3.99 in a yellow pkg (I did not buy it). There were no rotary blades anywhere around the cutter. I was told the replacements were on the aisle with the screwdrivers (makes sense, right) but they were not. Neither the clerk in the aisles nor the checker were the least bit interested in assisting me. I bought two 4" magnetic parts trays to use for pins. Thank you for the item number and the additional info. Now that I am back home I will check with HF in the Sacramento area.

They're call rotary carpet cutter blades. I just bought some Saturday at HF in Winston-Salem. Luckily, they still had some. They're in the section with carpet tools (at least in this store).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    I couldn't find these blades online either. How can I get some?
    They are carpet blades that are like rotary cutting blades. I just checked on them to see what shipping would be and it is $6.99.
    Thought that that was a little pricey.
    I will just wait to see if my store will get some in. The Harbor Freight near me is an hour away, but I go there regularly. They were out the other day.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Here is the exact spot someone posted already and should take you to the product.

Sounds like we all know where and in which isle.
    Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Power Poster
    Yes that is me, always trying to get the most out of the blade and when I change it it is like cutting in heaven.

Dee
    They are under carpet rotary blades.

Even tho the HF blades are on backorder online, if you call your local store and give them the item #97642, if they have some coming in a delivery, they might hold some for you until you can come pick them up. Our store did that for me. She told me they would be in Weds. evening, so if I would call before closing Weds. nite, they would hold them for me. They had to be delivered to the store before they can hold them. So I called back Weds. nite, and put 20 on hold, which I picked up today!!! But I have been using one of the 3 blades I got week before last in the package with the cutter for $3.99, since I bought it and it is still sharp and cutting well. I only need to go over it more than once if I have more than 4 layers or if the fabric is thick like flannel or corduroy and more than 2 layers. And that is only now in the last couple days. When it was new, it easily cut thru 8 layers of cotton in one cut.

Joann's has rotary blades on sale 40% off this week. Hurry in to get your replacements.

cka

I save my old blades for my daughter to use in paper crafting. They are still sharp enough for her to cut with. Recycling baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by stpatmom
    I always wait too long because I think they're expensive. I can't wait to get my hands on those harbor freight blades and then i'll change them all the time!
    The Harbor Freight blades I looked at didn't have the same kind of hole that my Olfa blades do. What part number did you order?

Elizabeth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast