Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotary blades >

rotary blades

rotary blades

Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Where do you buy your blades in bulk? How many is bulk? Can you share the price? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM

I have heard mixed reviews about them, I don't have one though..
Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I heard the Gingher blades lasted much longer then normal. Thanks for the heads up on the Orbital sharpener. I'll save my money for a Gingher blade.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I am going to be looking into a blade sharpener, thank you for the opinions on these :D:D:D

Also, I don't throw my used blades away, I give them to a scrapbooking friend...they do well for her as they are still plenty sharp to cut paper!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM

I have never purchased blades on EBay but am interested if they are less expensive. I have bought them on www.Connectingthreads.com at a reasonable price. I was told that if you use your rotary cutter to move the cut fabric away from the piece your cutting it from, IE: accross the cutting matt that it will dull your blades quickly. I really don't go through blades too often but I never use them to cut anything but fabric. I do keep old blades to cut freezer paper sometimes. Hope this was helpful.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i have an orbital sharpener. don't like it at all. the less expensive sandpaper types work better for me.

i buy generic blades in bulk now, so rarely bother to sharpen. i just hate throwing them in the trash. :roll:
Well that is good to know. I don't know anyone who has tried one and I trust your judgment! I guess I'll just keep flipping mine over to get more life out of it and then throw it away.

As for rotary blades, save the old package & when you are done you can slip the used blades back inside. Now be sure to mark the outside of the package "USED" so you don't get them mixed up. Then you can safely dispose of them without worrying about the blades cutting the bag, or the person carrying out the trash. :shock:
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i have an orbital sharpener. don't like it at all. the less expensive sandpaper types work better for me.

i buy generic blades in bulk now, so rarely bother to sharpen. i just hate throwing them in the trash. :roll:
Well that is good to know. I don't know anyone who has tried one and I trust your judgment! I guess I'll just keep flipping mine over to get more life out of it and then throw it away.

As for rotary blades, save the old package & when you are done you can slip the used blades back inside. Now be sure to mark the outside of the package "USED" so you don't get them mixed up. Then you can safely dispose of them without worrying about the blades cutting the bag, or the person carrying out the trash. :shock:
Or the garbage men, if they have to end up handling a bag :D:D:D
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Ouch! You are right and my garbage man does handle our bags instead of using a fancy garbage machine to pick up the bags or cans.

I also keep old spice jars to put old and discarded needles into. It's amazing how many bent or broken or dull needles a small spice jar can hold! And it works great to take it to classes or retreats because everyone uses it.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM

I use blunt needles to hang pictures. They are strong and leave a very small hole in the wall.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Administrator

June995 turned us on to a vendor who sells recycled rotary blades. you send him your old blades and purchase professionally resharpened blades at a discounted price:

http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html

she says she's very satisfied by the service.