Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotary blades >

rotary blades

rotary blades

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the information. What a great way to communicate when you are snow bound!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 PM

If you are storing used blades, take a piece of scotch tape and cover the edge of the blade. Even if the blade is too dull to work well on fabric it is still sharp and can cut someone. I also use a piece of scotch tape to put around worn needles before disposing of them.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM

The old fashioned blue, sandpaper does the trick for me. In fact my friend was over and her blade was all nicked and dull. I gave her a new one while I sharpened hers and she was so impressed when I gave her the original one back. It worked like new. I swear by mine. I looked at the ad for the orbital one and I couldn't even find out how much it was. Sounds like a lot more than the old standby.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Wow, lots of great info.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM

The orbital does last longer than the sandpaper sharpener, at least for me. I wore the sandpaper sharpener out so quickly and couldn't find replacements anywhere, so bought the oribital. I've had it a couple of years and my DH has sharpened all of my blades, my friend's blades and blades that belong to some of the customers at the quilting shop where I hang out! My DH isn't one to rave about much but the orbital he says he'd do a commercial for it!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by eb in calif
If you are storing used blades, take a piece of scotch tape and cover the edge of the blade. Even if the blade is too dull to work well on fabric it is still sharp and can cut someone. I also use a piece of scotch tape to put around worn needles before disposing of them.
If your blades come in the plastic holder, you can use one to store your old blades in and then you don't have to worry about the scotch tape. I use old spice jars to hold broken or bent needles. Once the lid is on, no need for scotch tape. Just a thought. :wink:
Old 12-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bjcombs2022
The orbital does last longer than the sandpaper sharpener, at least for me. I wore the sandpaper sharpener out so quickly and couldn't find replacements anywhere, so bought the oribital. I've had it a couple of years and my DH has sharpened all of my blades, my friend's blades and blades that belong to some of the customers at the quilting shop where I hang out! My DH isn't one to rave about much but the orbital he says he'd do a commercial for it!
Wow. Now I'm interested again in owning one. It really bothers me that a new blade stays sharp for such a short time. I continue to use them until I get to the @#$%*&^% stage and would love a sharpener that works!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I can usually get a few quilts done with the blade before flipping it over and extending the life for another quilt or two.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: We can do that??????????????
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Originally Posted by Tiffany
I can usually get a few quilts done with the blade before flipping it over and extending the life for another quilt or two.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: We can do that??????????????
Yep, just don't let the company know or they'll raise the prices! :lol:
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 PM

I have both a Gingher rotary cutter and an Olfa. I much prefer the Olfa--wish I'd stuck with it instead of getting the Gingher. And it gets dull faster than the Olfa.