Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter "guard"? >

Rotary cutter "guard"?

Rotary cutter "guard"?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll get a couple of these. I am going to try the one with the suction cups too.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Did the same thing but I was using the wrong side of my long ruler. the guard was on the other side!! anyway, i used to buy my long plastic "guards" at JoAnn's. they were L shaped and you just stick them on. I'm sure they have more options now.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 AM

A girl at the quilt shop cut the end of her finger off. She went to the lumber yard and purchased a plastic strip that is put around corners to protect the sheetrock and glued it on her ruler. It is clear, cheap and works great. Also use a cutting glove from Fons and Porter. I too almost cut my finger off before I started using these things.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I have a safety shield that is glued 1/4 inch from the edge. It is made by O'lipfa. Not all quilt stores carry them but I did see some online once I typed in O'lipfa Safety Shield and several stores came up. I have it on my 24" ruler where I usually have the most problems because I am vertically challenged (short). It has saved my fingers several times...so I really like it. At the store where I was a manager It was mandatory to use the ruler with the guard.
I have what you have described. It's a medium long piece of plastic about an inch or so high and it glues on and works great. The only thing I don't like is that it makes it hard to see the markings on the ruler if it happens to be right on top of a mark.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 AM

I think there's one called "Tru-Cut" where there's a track on one edge of the ruler that the blade goes in, shows it being used by a young girl, supposed to be safe.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 AM

Harbor Freight....they have several suction cup devices that I use on my rulers.....much less expensive. The large one is like them gypsy one but for shower...same item just different color.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The purple thing is called a "Gypsy Gripper." We have them on all the rulers at the store, and they are pretty awesome! There are 3 sizes.
Maybe I haven't learned the suction secret, but my Gypsy Gripper doesn't always work so I tucked it away. Maybe I will get it out again and TRY again. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM

I wear my Klutz glove almost every time I cut. Sometimes I have just one tiny cut to make so I don't put it on and I feel so vulnerable without it. I've read about these finger cuts enough on this board that I'm very afraid.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

I have the O'Lipfa Safety Guard also. use it on my 36" O'lipfa ruler.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 AM

I did the exact same thing two summers ago. Eight stitches and a nicked tendon. (and yes, it hurt like the dickens) Lesson learned. My neighbor is a wood carver and he sent me to a woodworkers supply store to get a wood carvers glove. It was a little bulky at first, but "fits like a glove" now. I use it every time I pick-up my rotary cutter. I am currently taking a block of the month class at a local quilt shop and the teacher suggested to use a 60mm rotary cutter. She said for some reason she has more control and it has improved her cutting. I bought one and have to agree with the teacher. Believe it or not, with the bigger blade I have more control and my cuts are straighter. Good luck with your injury. I feel your pain.