Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Injury Protection >

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM

I am so sorry for you. I worry about that so try to slowdown and take some time. Prayers and heal fast.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Before you purchase any gloves, make sure you read the reviews! I cut my finger about a month ago, 5 stitches. Checked out the gloves, but didn't like the reviews!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

I did exactly the same thing. I went to Harbor Freight and bought glass suction cup handles. These are the handles that they use to move panes of glass. I have them on all my rulers now. It keeps my hands away from the rotary cutter and my ruler doesn't move as much with the handles. I wouldn't cut without them now.

I hate the gloves because I have very small hands. The gloves are always too big and they get in my way.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM

how did you do that? I assume the first time you were using your dominant hand for the rotary cutter. Were you cutting with your non-dominant this time? Anyway - yes, you need those safety gloves.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM

I used to have a cutting ruler with a guard on it which protected your fingers. Not sure if they still make them or not, but if they do, that might be an option. So sorry about your injuries, that sure was a double whammy! Hope you heal quickly. God bless!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your injury. I would say get a glove or ruler guard.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Lightbulb Ouch!!

I have done this. Once on my left index finger. No stitches, just throbbing pain for about 4 days. I now keep the gauze pads that DO NOT stick to the wound around. I used regular gauze pads that I had and everytime I would try to change the gauze pad, it would start bleeding all over again. *If it's got a shiny side then it's the one you need. Check into Kevlar gloves. They may be what your looking for. Yes, I do have the gloves, but no I don't use them when I cut fabric. STUPID, mindless and you'd think I'd learn....
Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you've sliced and diced again! I think you may need to invest in the glove. I saw on the Fons and Porter show recently that there is a clear film to put on the bottom of your rulers. I want to get some of that for mine so the ruler is more secure. I've only had a couple of nicks but that is more than enough.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself again. I am surprised at how many of the board members have hurt themselves. I avoid injury by using a dull blade. It still cuts fabric, but not me. I get pretty nervous when I have a new blade in my cutter. So far I've been lucky, I hope I'm not jinxing myself.
Sue
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 AM

A dull blade will cut you, too. It just doesn't make a clean cut.

I used a rotary cutter for over 25 years before I had the first injury. I think that is pretty good odds!