Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Question >

Rotary Cutter Question

Rotary Cutter Question

Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
Originally Posted by Pam
Martelli has their own blades that are not interchangeable, but I think the others are, I just used to buywhat ever was on sale, and did not have a problem.
I have a Martelli rotary cutter that is ergonomic and I can buy any brand of blade (not fancy like pinking) and use in it. Is my Martelli ergonomic different from yours?
I am SO glad to hear this! I am planning on buying an Martelli ergo cutter and ruler, BUT did want to be stuck with using only their expensive blades. Hurrah! :-D
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Olfa blades will not fit Fiskers cutters. The Fiskers requires a round hole while the Olfa hole is a more triangular shape with 3 little cut outs. If you try using this blade in your Fiskers, it fits but will not stay in position and handles as if your cutter has a flat tire. You can't cut that way. Rotary cutter blades are not universal. You should always keep your original rotary cutter package for reference or check your company on the internet. Most of them will give you a picture of the blade you need, describe it and even provide the diagram on how to reassemble your cutter after changing blades. The new Orbital rotary blade sharpening tool includes extra plastic bits to handle blades such as Olfa so that company also knows that rotary blades are not all standard. Do change your blade though because dull blades wreck your mat and may even cut you.
Good info. - thanks. I have always kept the orig. cardboard that came w/ the cutter, tho, for the reasons you said.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by penny doty
mine are very dull but I will keep using them. Penny
Oh! How do you cut with a dull blade and not chunk the thing through the window? :lol: :lol:
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by penny doty
mine are very dull but I will keep using them. Penny
Oh! How do you cut with a dull blade and not chunk the thing through the window? :lol: :lol:
I am pretty frugal and will usually use things alittle longer then I should just so I am getting my moneys worth, but I have learned somethings just aren't worth the headache, rotary blades are one of those items. Does someone have a web site for thier favorite place to buy in bulk?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM

I did a little test. While picking up the "Pinking" blade, Joann's had a sale on Olfa cutters and blades at 50% off. The only pinking blades they had in stock were the Olfa. I have a Fiskars already.

Since the sale was going on, I bought the blade for $5.99 and the cutter for $8.99 which I thought was a great price. I figured I could keep one cutter with a regular blade and one for the pinking.

This morning I took the pinking blade and put it into the Fiskars. The Olfa blade has a little notch on it, however the Olfa cutter was round with no notch. I can't figure why the notch is on the blade.

I tried cutting with the pinking in the Fiskars and it worked.
Then I placed it in the Olfa and it worked even better.

Don't get me wrong. It did work in the Fiskars cutter, it was still a pinked seam. However the cut was a lot cleaner in the Olfa cutter.

I guess the answer is Yes they are interchangeable, but work the best in their own cutters. Not very scientific, just my humble opinion.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 AM

I have used all different blades with different cuttters including my Martelli cutter and have never had a problem. I say give it a try.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 AM

At the Chicago Quilt Show yesterday...I was at the Schmetz booth and they have a brand new rotary blade...titamiun blade to stay sharp longer...rep. told me that it won't be available at Joann's for awhile. Apparently, they only purchase new things every once and awhile and then have to find room for them. LQS and other places will have it very soon.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM

One year at the Sewing Expo, Martellis told me not to use the blade with the notch in my regular rotary cutters because they get dull quicker because the don't turn evenly with the notch so they wear out more in some spots. I save my old blades that are too dull to cut fabric and use them to cut paper, wallpaper, freezer paper. Works great for that.
Cathy
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM

I was told at Joann's that the blades are not interchangeable. Go online to get them they are much cheaper on Ebay.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM

I use Olfa blades all the time in my Fiskars cutters. I have never had a problem with the blade not fitting. Fiskar blades in anything other than a single pack are hard to find here, which makes them expensive.