Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutters Help >

Rotary Cutters Help

Rotary Cutters Help

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Unfortunately it is my thumb and wrist that is plagued with arthritis, I only hope the voltaran Osteo Gel will give me some relief
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 AM

The older Martelli cutters do use Olfa, Fiskars blades. I don't know about the newer ones. I have a couple from about 5 - 6 years ago.

The Truecut is pretty good also. That guide system can be removed and used like a regular cutter. I removed it from one of mine as Truecut doesn't have some of the rulers I want. I've removed it on both 45 and 18mm cutters.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
I have Arthritis in my right hand and find it painful to use my rotary cutter, some where I saw a rotary cutter which was developed for people with hands like mine. Has any one any knowledge of this cutter Any help would be great
Thanks in advance

Dale.
The Martelli cutter is made for people with Arthritis, carpal tunnel, or hand fatigue problems. The cutter is designed to put the cutting pressure on the palm of the handle and not the fingers.
The first finger lays over the top of the cutter to stabilize, the thumb is used to stabilize and control the side to side motion of the cutter.
As for the blade interchange with Olfa, this is a big no. The Olfa blades have triangle cut outs and will actually cut into the screw that holds the blade on the Martelli, the blade can actually cut the screw that holds the blade and w whill cause the blade to wobble and if it cuts through the hardened screw, could cause injury. So for the same reason, the Martelli blades will not fit the Olfa cutters. They will fit the Fiskars as these cutters have round center axle. If you buy a Martelli have the person show you how to use it as it is a bit different when holding it to cut. The cutter is held at a 90 degree straight angle with your ruler, your elbow at your waist, and you swing your arm with the cut just as you would if you were reaching for something. This is the reason a lot of people that buy the Martelli end up disliking them because they were never shown how to properly use them. Everyone that I have sold gets a lesson and are told to go home and cut as much scrap as they can to become familiar with the "feel" of the cutter. When it feels right you can feel the cut as well as hear the difference in the sound of the cutter.
If I can help with any other information please e-mail me. I have sold a number of these cutters over the last 10 years I have owned my shop.
OzarksGma