Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin >

Round Robin

Round Robin

Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you need to make sure EVERYONE, EVERYTIME adds insurance and delivery confirmation to their packages, no matter where it is going, and make sure that the insurance increases with the quilt...what is appropriate in the beginning is not nearly enough after 2 or 3 rounds are added. I have participated in 5 different international round robins...a couple of them were very expensive to participate in, we were required to not only add our border but also yardage the package grew with each round and by the last round it cost me over $100 just to add the required yardage and mail it to the UK. so make sure your group is ready for the expense involved and knows the cost will grow with each round. different rr's are done in different ways and some you do not have to send extra just the quilt as it grows but packaging still grows and postage requirements grow as well. the expensive one i participated in was 7 rounds all together and i probably spent about $500 participating between the fabric requirements and postage/insurance requirements.
Insurance can cause the recipient to end up paying exhorbitant duty costs. Can money replace hand work? We send everything marked as a gift. The important thing seems to be willing to pay for first class handling.
It is expensive to participate, especially when sending overseas, but an experience well worth the money.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Welcome from New Hampshire and good luck with your RR group. I have been participating in an International RR for 11 years now, same ladies from Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Italy and USA, myself.---we have not had any problems--yet. On the declaration area we call our package a "cotton square". No matter how many rounds are on---actually it's correct, right?? We insure for $5.00 for the centers and add another $5.00 for each round thereafter.
We do realize that the worth is much higher but we hope that the rather low insurance amount and description does not become a temptation. Please let me know how you make out with your group by PM. Best regards, Kutnso
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM

goodmorning! it's good to wake up and find a message how to have a "safe" RR. Thanks for all the good advice and I will tell the other ladies all about it. I am going to the mall in Dijon now to buy pretty dresses for my 4 years old granddaughters who are identical twins. The quilts I promissed them are calling too.......
Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Gal

I have sent small packages of fabric etc to various places, I have not had a problem, however if I was sending something expensive, or that I had put a lot of work into, I would pay extra to register my item and send it 'Track and Trace' so that it is signed for at the other end, thus eliminating as many problems as possible.

Gal
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 AM

The suggestions above are all very good but my Brazilian friend told me that once the package arrives they are charged more than double for the duty tax. Something to think about.
I've started another IRR (privately) and these members are from Brazil, Germany, Japan, Iceland and USA, myself. I truly hope that we have the same good luck with our mailings. In fact, our Centers are due to be mailed on Aug. 1, so we may learn something from this.
Much good luck to all of you, Kutnso
Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 AM

Bonjour, We lived in Menestreau en Villette, a few miles south of Orleans for 5 years. How I wish there had been a shopping mall at that time. This was many years ago but we managed.
How long have you been making quilts?? I'm sure your little grandaughters will love cuddling with their new quilts.
Happy shopping, Kutnso
Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Sometimes the 'ROYAL MAIL' takes months. I do send things but I worry.

In one of the guilds here on the 'net a quilt was lost because the person that addressed it put SA for South America.

Spell out everything and put clear tape over both addresses so dampness will not erode the address. Never heard about that quilt again. So sad!